2020 DeStash-Along

Y’all. This beast had me rummaging more than one of my stashes! I only bought 3 things for him: the nutcracker blank, a floral pick to make the garland, and the rope moulding that decorates the lever in the back.

If you haven’t already, please join us in the 2020 Nutcracker Along!

4 Likes

These colors make me so happy!!

:snowflake: December Themes :snowflake:

d o i l y by Leanda Xavian, on Flickr

Color: Silver
Pattern: Snowflakes
For: Your Home
Challenge: Take a deep breath, step back, and marvel at all the wonderful things you’ve made from your stash this year. How did you do on your goals from January? How has you stash changed and evolved? What was your favorite part of the DeStash-Along this year, and how can it be improved for next year?

9 Likes

Soooooo I have fallen off the wagon and bought 8 balls of yarn to make a child sweater, 2 balls for Christmas socks, i bought some other things to make other things, and kits to a make wool candle mat and a needle keep. Happy Christmas to meeeeeee!

I mean, ahem, back on the craft-supply-no-buy wagon for me and deleting saved credit card numbers from websites like etsy!

4 Likes

I’m not sure cold sheeping or other ”nothing in ever” methods really work. It’ll be more fun if you both work down the stash some and add to it.

I’ve had more in than out this year I think. Oh, well… Part of my problem is lack of time/energy to craft. Perhaps I’ll use one of the prompts to get out of my crafty funk.

I definitely have felt that crafty funk a lot this year, I’m sorry you’re in one, too. The prompts can be a good jumping off place, for sure. Also any charity/gift crafting that might resonate with you could be a good motivator.

My current destash “rules” (that i like to bend) are temporary embargoes on incoming supplies with no project in mind so all my recent purchases actually dont break the rule so much as are perhaps premature what with all the WiPs i’ve been procrastinating. My true goal is to get the stash down to a comfortable size for the smaller space I had to move it into when the original guest/craft room got a new permanent resident. I really want a nice space with a little elbow room to sit and craft in so I’ve been working on that this year between other life commitments. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This is current rule to also bent a few times since I started attempting to implement :laughing:

2 Likes

Combine a request from TheMisterT with stumbling upon an abandoned bowl-cover project means I whipped up some quick appliance/bowl covers yesterday using circles already cut.

ApplianceCovers01-03

Among the wreckage of that abandoned project were some other, smaller circles with moisture barrier liners already pinned to the fabric, so I think I might give resurrecting them a go.

I used some regifted-to-me probably-polyester taffeta-esque fabric to make a bias strip to trim out these ridiculous throw pillow covers. The pillow forms are stash, too!

SequinSnowflakeCovers01

And I have one more little stash-inclusive project that I’m allllmost done with!

While I used bits and pieces of stash, I didn’t really BUST stash this year. I do always try to find what I want or need in my stash before buying when working on specific projects, but with printed cardstock this year I did lots of speculative accumulating as well as buying for specific projects. As far as fabric, I didn’t do very much speculative buying and did complete a few projects where the materials were in danger of becoming stash based on how long I’d had them w/o working on them.

7 Likes

Great projects MistressT.

I realized my bead and jewelry supply box had spread and overall was a total mess. Along the way of organizing I decided to do some projects too. By the end I had several bracelets, a sun spinner/catcher thingy, pair of earrings, and a gallon size bag of donations. Now everything is “organized” and fits in half of it’s original box.

11 Likes

WOW! You really went to town and made some great projects AND progress!

1 Like

2020 roundup:

My 2020 crafting goals were:

• use craft supplies from my stash (remaining supplies should fit in their closet) :white_check_mark: (everything fits!)
  • finish some WIPs :white_check_mark: (finished some, frogged some, didn’t work on a few, started a few more :grin:)
  • try sewing clothing for myself :heavy_multiplication_x: (only made some masks)
  • make amigurumi :white_check_mark: (2 finished, 1 mostly done!)
  • start christmas gifts earlier :white_check_mark: (I didn’t finish them all, but I did start them earlier :grin:)

My stash now fits in the closet! Here’s everything except sewing machines, some paper, & my scrappy blanket WIP:

I didn’t finish everything I had planned on at the beginning of the year, but I finished more things than I thought I did!

• 4 lap blankets
  • 39 blanket squares
  • 34 hats
  • 5 baby blankets
  • 3 stash baskets
  • 7 scarves
  • 2 catnip toys
  • 2 amigurumi
  • 1 twin blanket
  • 13 potholders
  • 1 shawl
  • 1 bracelet
  • 9 masks

Total yarn used: 21+ miles!

Now my finished pile takes up too much room! :grin:

A couple favorite projects from the year:

Leaping Stripes and Blocks Blanket (pattern)

(I did have to buy more yarn to finish this, but I used it all up :smiley:)

Happypotamus (pattern)

11 Likes

ooh, someone made the hippo! (I love the hippo but have never had a good enough reason/enough spare space to make one…)

2 Likes

They’re pretty fun to make! This was my second one (& both were given away). I’m not sure which animal I want to try next - turtle? stegosaurus? bulldog? sheep? or more hippos? :grin:

2 Likes

@Jellybean That’s amazing work! 4 out of 5 goals completed is spectacular, as is getting your stash to fit in one closet and the Leaping Stripes and Blocks Blanket.

I put myself on a Craft Supply No-Buy for 2020, and I am proud to say that I succeeded! I allowed myself to replace some staples as I ran out, so here’s what I acquired:

• 3 yards of plain muslin
  • 10 yards of elastic
  • 1 package of lightweight interfacing
  • 1 package of split rings for keychains
  • more thread than I can shake a stick at

I managed to use up just over 20 yards of fabric and I don’t feel like I made much of a dent in my stash. As the year progressed I could see I was running out of some of my favorite fabrics, but there are so many more waiting in the wings to be used. I never managed to track the yarn I used, and I pretty much stopped knitting as I got more into fostering cats from the SPCA and got several in a row who liked to chew yarn. I managed to make:

• 376 doll dresses (most of which have gone to new homes)
  • 38 masks (not that many, but I found them depressing to make en-masse)
  • 4 dishcloths
  • 2 doll sweaters
  • 2 knit cuddle squares for the foster cats
  • 15 zippered pouches of various sizes
  • 56 Christmas Cards

My goals for the next year are to continue my Craft Supply Low-Buy (I can’t say no-buy because I’m planning at least two projects that will require fabric I don’t already have in stash), plus doing some old fashioned decluttering and organizing to make everything easier to use.

7 Likes

Do we want a 2021 DeStash-Along? If it’s useful to have I can set up another thread, but if you feel like there are other craftalongs that fill similar purposes we can find each other there.

3 Likes

oh definitely do a 2021…I find your prompts inspiring and it helps me remember to use what I have for the other craftalongs!

376 doll dresses? I am swooning here! They have kept me coming to this thread all the time!

3 Likes

I agree with @AIMR, if you enjoy leading the way I’ll gladly follow along. If you don’t want to do it, though, no pressure. Above all it should be something that lifts you up, too. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Excellent hippo!!! And congrats on all that destashing!! Lots of achievements!! :smiley:

1 Like

Okay! The 2021 DeStash Along is up and running!

If you have any remaining projects that you finished in 2020, feel free to post them here, but new projects and discussion should go to the brand-new thread.

5 Likes

Yay! I know I kind of fell off the wagon. And I definitely was not as productive or stash-busty as you or @jellybean (holy moley, you two!! :open_mouth:), but like @AIMR said, the prompts are helpful.

2 Likes