2020 Nutcracker Along! ANY media, ANY theme, ANY size!

That is so so So cool!

Genius!

Scrolling down through this thread again is getting me excited to get back into mine! I think other projects and responsibilities along with thinking I may have to take a saw to my snowman has made it too easy to set aside.

1 Like

This morning I gathered a bunch of crap items from various hoards to get to work on my nutcracker. My brain is flowing with ideas and starting points!

1 Like

My little craft heart realllllly wants to sew, BUT my nutcracker is countdown dude so I GOTTA work on him. To get my nutcracker vibe going I started with this garland!

Garland

I found a floral pick that I thought could be reconned into an appropriately scaled garland. I used floral wire from stash and all the “lights” and ornaments are from stash. YEY!

2 Likes

Oh oh oh! I had the luxury of playing with my nutcracker (TWSS) most of the day! So I also finished disassembling my blank and also did a little alteration. WOO.

You know, now I wish I’d used the numbers to count down how many days until Christmas, but I just put 47 because it seemed kind of funny to me. But 42 would’ve been the Answer to Life, The Universe, And Everything. D’oh!

1 Like

I’ve been lucky to have quite a bit of Nutcracker Time over the last few days and while keeping most things under wraps-ish, I will share that I modified & painted my blank’s carrot nose today!

I also got to bring out one of my favorite tools to cut a few paper circles for another piece of nutcrackery!

Punch

1 Like

I am starting to work on some nutcracker goodness. I’m super excited about it.

2 Likes

A sneak peek before I start adding color!

5 Likes

Oooooo! I’m excited to see these come to life! Not literally, of course. :grin:

I couldn’t help myself. Went to Michael’s today and saw this cute little mouse! Going to fancy him up and add him to my collection.

2 Likes

I couldn’t get mine separated and broke the poor guy.

We’ve decided to reevaluate our commitment to each other and the project.

3 Likes

OH NO, @JoyfulClover !!! I hope you two find a way to make this relationship work!

@ErinAquaheart That’s a cutie! Can’t wait to see how you transform it!

I came upon this printed cardstock in my stash today! MUTTcrackers!

Muttcracker

And I also got my number cubes stained and painted!

Annnnnd I got sooooo much done over this weekend! I feel sooooo close, but I seem to be hitting a lot of do-a-thing-wait-3-hours-for drying stages lately.

3 Likes

@TheMistressT I understand playing the crafty waiting game! Also that paper is too cute

@JoyfulClover I hope that the damage isn’t beyond repair!

I’ve gone nutcracker mad! I bought these two today to paint with my partner. She’s going to do the snowman.

3 Likes

Thanks @ErinAquaheart. I just need to lop the hat off with the recip saw before I do any further damage to the head. I had no idea the glue was THAT strong, or the wood was THAT soft. We’ll see.

If not, I’ll just watch y’all make fun things!

@JoyfulClover I used a keyhole saw to cut the hat off of mine! It took more time than a power saw would have, for sure, but it also was very clean and required hardly any sanding. In fact, I think it mostly cut the glue rather than the wood! I think the blade was even not a wood blade - very fine teeth.

@ErinAquaheart YEY! Your own personal Nutcracker Along! I am so charmed by that snowman’s pipe and broom - just so classic and like a kid would draw!

Ah! I should have asked how you got yours off. I assumed it popped off with relative ease. His noodle is all messed up. A saw would have been a much better route than trying to muscle it off.

I tried and tried to muscle it off and pry it off by tapping a putty knife and then a painters tool into the join, but finally resorted to the saw. I then cut his head at an angle with a hand saw in a miter box and messed up his head a little bit… I ended up using wood filler a few times on this beast!

1 Like

Oh, now I’m totally creeped out. Mine is partly painted and looks awful. He’s been glaring at me reproachfully for weeks. I may need to lock him up so he doesn’t come for me in the night.

3 Likes