2020 Q1 ART Challenge: Miniaturize Your Craft!

2020 Q1 ART Challenge: Miniaturize Your Craft!

:art::thread::yarn::teddy_bear::art::thread::yarn::teddy_bear::art::thread::yarn::teddy_bear:

Welcome members! I’d like to invite you to join our inaugural series of challenges! For this quarter, the moderators of the Art Category - @alteredmommy, @MissingWillow, and @PerfectlyBohemian - would like to challenge you to MINIATURIZE one of your favorite types of craft methods! This challenge is directly inspired by the amazing Lettuce Craft Curio Cabinet which brought together a family of crafters to showcase what Lettuce Craft is all about! Throw caution to the wind and dive right into making the smallest things you’ve ever made!

The winner of the Miniaturize Your Craft will receive a $25 gift card to Amazon!

The Rules:

• Your entry must fit one or the other of these miniaturization requirements (Not both):

• The item shall be 1:6 scale or a smaller scale
      OR
    • You finished item must be smaller than 3 inches in its largest dimension

(If your entry fits one of the requirements, it does not need to meet the other. For example, if you have a 1:6 size couch, it will be longer than 3" but still meets the scale requirement)

• Your entry must represent a type of craft (i.e. needlepoint, knitting, jewelry), so not just a tiny item, but a tiny item being made, or tiny versions of the supplies needed to for a craft.
  • Each member may only submit only one entry for the challenge, and it cannot already be posted on its own thread.
  • Your entry may not be submitted for any other contest in this community.
  • All entries must be posted by midnight (Pacific Time) on March 18th.
  • You should submit your entry by creating a project post on the Art > Completed Projects sub-board under the Miniatures Tag.
  • You are REQUIRED to have a descriptive title and then include “- ART 2020 Q1 Challenge Entry” (example: Suzie’s 1:12 Miniaturized Quilt - ART 2020 Q1 Challenge Entry).
  • Once you have posted your submission, you need to reply to this thread with a link to your post. If you do not do this, your entry will not be considered.
  • Voting will happen on March 19th - 25th.
  • The winner will be announced on March 26th - we will contact you via Private Message, after the announcement.
  • If cheating of any sort is discovered, the applicable entry and votes will be disqualified.

More Details:

What is 1:6 scale? Also known as “playscale”, this is a ratio of the real life measurement to the miniaturized dimensions. Take the original, real life height of the object and divide by 6. If you want to make a 1:6 scale person that was 6 ft in real life (72 in), that person would be 1 ft (12 in) in 1:6 scale. How about 1:12 scale?? Same concept, but divide by 12 instead! Now that person is only 6 inches tall! Any scale that is 1:6 or smaller is acceptable, or any object that is 3" or smaller is acceptable per guidelines above.

The Winner will be determined via a community vote! The entry with the most votes wins! Keep a look out here for a pole during the voting period.

If you have any questions, or want to chat about your crafting progress for this challenge, post it here! Let’s have fun!

:art::thread::yarn::teddy_bear::art::thread::yarn::teddy_bear::art::thread::yarn::teddy_bear:

Entries:

TIME TO VOTE! ! ! ! !

• Mini Sunbonnet Sue
  • It’s a Miniature Pocket Letter!
  • Miniature Mixed Media ATC 9 Pocket
  • Faerie bed and quilt 1:6 scale
  • A trio of mini assemblage art canvases
  • Mini Masters by Reinikka, 1:6 scale masterboards
  • Tarot cards
  • Mini Kitschy Valentine Wreath
  • Mini Bookmark from Mini Masterboard
  • A birdie painting a birdie painting!
  • Mini Prayer Flag Trio
  • Steampunk hearts
  • Mini book/zine
  • Miniature Dragon Egg Dice Bags
  • Miniature Pottery Studio
  • Miniature Ceramic Raven Sculptures
  • Miniature jewelry swap
  • Back to my crafty roots: Bead lizards!
  • Rubber Chicken Layette Set
  • droplet the evolution fish boi
  • Miniature #toddlerfruit
  • Bring Back (a little) Macrame!
  • Garden pot
  • Tiniest dollhouse I’ve ever made

0 voters

17 Likes

We’re truly going to be inundated with the tiny crafts now! I :heart: this challenge!!!

4 Likes

Here is some fun that might inspire!

4 Likes

I hope lots of folks are inspired, can’t wait to see the entries!

1 Like

I’m really excited to see what people come up with, too! I think @sweets4ever is a huge inspiration! She created such a detailed and marvelous itty bitty suitcase of sewing supplies, and she had NEVER MADE A MINIATURE BEFORE! I’m so freaking blown away:

2 Likes

Just to be sure… are fine arts accepted? Examples… painting, sculpture, etc…

Totally!! All forms of art and crafts. This IS the art category after all :wink: I’d just recommend that you try to incorporate some of the supplies needed for that form of art too. Maybe an easel or paint palette for example!

2 Likes

Aww, thank you so much. You are so sweet (sew sweet? :smiley: ).

The best part – the project was entirely made out of found objects & stash supplies. I quickly learned, when you are creating miniatures, you really don’t need to purchase ANYTHING. You also start to look at all objects around you like supplies – even the smallest things! :laughing: :mag_right::safety_pin::candy::wilted_flower:

4 Likes

Ooh, I like that idea. Not sure how to incorporate that into my sculpture idea, but, therein lies some of the challenge. I’m on it!

1 Like

Ooo I already have an idea!! This will be fun!

2 Likes

Can I submit my entry anytime between now and the deadline?

Yes! Just put a post on the Art board with the miniatures tag and “- ART 2020 Q1 Challenge Entry” after the name, then share it here.

Can’t wait to see!!

Oooohh most of my pottery has been play scale lately… Hmmmm to come up with something… :two_hearts:

1 Like

Here is my entry

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure miniatures would be my jam, but I came up with a genius idea and it’s in progress! I can’t wait to show it off!

4 Likes

My entry is for this Miniature Pocket Letter!

10 Likes

Ahh that is adorable!

1 Like

Shouldn’t this be under CONTESTS? Since you are giving out a prize? I love this idea but I had no idea it was going on. After I saw someone post for it I went to the Contest section to check it out and couldn’t find it. I had to do a search for it, but if I didn’t know it was going on, I would have never been able to run a search. Just a suggestion. I think you would get more participants if more people know about it.
I love all the entries! I hope LC does more challenges.

4 Likes

I’ve got a tiny idea - now to see if I can make it a reality…

1 Like