2021 DeStash-Along

A bit of destashing going on. I made two linen pillowcases for two new bed pillows. The linen was from a worn-out bottom sheet and I was able to use the unworn parts. And a very necessary cord cover. I had a new headset paid for by my company, and then the kittens (4 foster kittens) chewed the cord to smithereens and pooped orange flecks. They are fine, but my headset is dead. I had to order and pay for a new one and did not want that to happen again. The kittens will be available for adoption in a few weeks, but still, ā€œalways wear protectionā€. :stuck_out_tongue: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

Did you try throwing it out there on the Use it or lose it party line? might be worth a holler.

3 Likes

I like the fabric sleeve option-- I did a yarn wrapped headphone cord for my kid, but she still managed to fidget it to death. Iā€™ll have to consider thisā€¦

I have a lead on some of the yarn, but if it doesnā€™t work out, Iā€™ll ask about it in that thread. :slight_smile:

Used stashed tulle, satin, felt, and lace for this silly bridal get up for Delia. Itā€™s a part of a long running joke.

9 Likes

:laughing: She looks a bit like a reluctant bride

3 Likes

:rofl: Anything but reluctant, actually! She was in a mutual adoration society with her wife and brother-husband!

5 Likes

What a pretty bride!

1 Like

This little project feels a bit more bust-y in terms of stash. I used the rest of the snaps on 3-different cards, that last bit of thread of one spool and two bobbins, the last bits of a few flannels and also put a dent in some other flannel scraps. Woo!

8 Likes

Hoping to destash some stuffs via the Use it Or Lose It Craftalong and finally started my list with these:

Two packs of 60+ ā€œjournaling cardsā€ from cardstock collections
JournalCards

Two Wonky To-do List Notebooks, about 70 blank and lined pages from cardstock collections.
WonkyNotebooks

4 Likes

Very tempting!

1 Like

Totally agree!!!

My destash/stash use has stalled. I did manage to cull 2 books from my collection (but both are still in the house until I get my act together to send one to a friend who wants it and get one to a donation site.
I am having a hard time with the idea of just making stuff to make stuff/use up stuff because then Iā€™m fretting that Iā€™ll turn around and need something to make something for a purpose/intentional use and have to go buy stuff I just used for no real reason. Itā€™s a ā€œsecond verse same as the firstā€ kind of thinking. I need to get my spaces (all of them, really) into a better state of usefulness. Thus I actually, honestly, truly need less stuff. I need room to make stuff, I need to make stuff to make room, or I need to remove stuff and set it out into the world to seek itā€™s fortune elsewhere. But that feels wasteful, too. And again, what if next week I need that thing and have to go buy itā€¦

But I have to stop thinking this way. I need to embrace the space I have and bring it into itā€™s most useful/beautiful potential and stop waffling.
Thanks for letting me put this here (again.) I am in a funk and needed to say it where people really understand.
Ok, back to the stash divingā€¦

7 Likes

Iā€™m stuck too. I just did a hard cull of the craft books though, they are GREAT books, someone else will enjoy them very much. I am fed up with the clutter and even though itā€™s way, way less stuff than ever before, itā€™s still more than Iā€™ll use in a lifetime soā€¦ a trip to the donation centre is in order. It will be impossible to make an unreasonable mess if there simply isnā€™t enough stash to do that with, right?

3 Likes

I am very happy with what I have destashed from my crafting life!

It has carried over to other areas as I have also destashed all of my personal paperwork and my clothes and shoes!

It is quite freeing and I am able to find everything nowā€¦I did find five pairs of shoes in shoe boxes under my bed that I had forgotten aboutā€¦lolā€¦never wornā€¦I have to ā€œseeā€ stuff to use it, so I am going to look for some sort of shoe storage ideas.

Save the best and toss or donate the rest

I will tackle my bins of hundreds of zip lock bags of recycled clothing and scarf fabricsā€¦I saved them for a reason so I better start using them!

3 Likes

My clothes and shoes are minimal as Iā€™ve been wearing things out and not replacing anything I donā€™t use often enough. The furniture is a tough one for me, I inherited some stuff and bought stuff for a different home and this house we live in now is pretty permanent for us and I need to accept that some of my old faves do not work in this layout.
The craft stuff gets me though. I need to either make stuff, admit I wonā€™t actually make something that I have supplies to do and pass them on, and for the love of all things good and crafty stop buying/adopting things that arenā€™t for an active project.
When my MIL was downsizing she ā€œgiftedā€ me 3 or 4 large trashbags (Iā€™ve blocked it out so I canā€™t remember exactly) of old yarn she had kept for way too long. It was labeled from stores that had gone out of business 30 years ago in some cases. At first I was looking forward to seeing what was in there but then it hurt my crafty soul to see how much had not aged well enough to use and had to be discarded. I donā€™t want that for my yarns, nor my pocketbook.
I have a toddler and that saps all my good energy so that at the end of the day I am toast. I need to stop getting online and looking at patterns and start keeping simple pattern projects by that chair instead. I could do a nice simple repeated pattern shawl or something in my wind down time. I just have a hard time working on something without an end goal in mind- like ā€œthis is a gift for Sallyā€ or ā€œCharity Whozits is collecting squares at the libraryā€¦ā€
I gotta get out of my own way here.

5 Likes

I think most of use hate being wasteful so we feel a lot of guilt about not using what we have. I am trying to stop from adding to my stashesā€¦a result of boredom and emotional shoppingā€¦My sister is the same wayā€¦but she buys stuff, especially shoes, clothing and handbags, and then just sends it to me if they donā€™t fit or she gets tired of them! I have told her not to do this, so she is getting a bit better.

She sent me a trash bag of fabrics and interfacing for making masks when she got tired of making themā€¦she tends to get interested in a project and buys ā€œallā€ the supplies, then loses interest!

I sometimes think we also enable each other, so, I am trying not to do thatā€¦

I also like a ā€œgoalā€ but in swaps, I tend to buy stuff specific to my partner, so I need to stop that as well and select swaps where I can use what I have!

3 Likes

omg the swap thing kills me. I start all ā€œYay, a swap! Iā€™ll use some of these treasures to make someone something great!ā€ and then I get my partner and I need to go buy all new everythings for the thing to make that person.

Maybe a shop the swap or a wish swap should be my next pick.

2 Likes

lol that is why I have loads of leftovers of fabrics with specific themesā€¦horse fabric, fish fabric, penguin fabric, etc. Yeahā€¦trying to figure out if I should just make those available in the use it of lose it!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been trying to admit some stuff should go to the lose it group. I should just pull a category in total, not look too closely or have a friend photograph it and seal it up then offer it out. Once i touch it iā€™m all ā€œohh, I bought this to makeā€¦ā€ or ā€œohhhh I forgot i had tjos super adorable thing! I lurve it!ā€ And back in the stash it goes. Iā€™m incorrigible.

3 Likes