2021 DeStash-Along

That’s so beautiful!

1 Like

Thanks!

@AIMR I think I’ve been gravitating toward butterfly and moth imagery lately!

Another all stash paper project… YEY! A gift box.

8 Likes

Pretty, the box is a gift in itself.

2 Likes

Happy Birthday, @Trillian!!

1 Like

I went through most of my yarn stash and have given away a lot of it, including the novelty and art yarns…I decided to make a couple more washcloths with the cotton dishcloth yarn before giving it away…I have plenty of dishcloths and just got tired of the same old yarn…from now on, I will buy smaller amounts and not those big old balls that are always on sale!

I made loops for them to hang them by the sink.

I am also destashing my jewelry and beads…I made a few bracelets and realized how small a dent they made…

8 Likes

The loop is a good idea. I think I’ll steal that. :laughing:

I am waiting for yet another hobbii delivery- I went in needing a long circular needle then had to be a responsible adult and unclick all the beautiful yarns I was “collecting” in my cart as I went. lol (well, all but 2!)

2 Likes

I kind of started panicking when I realized that Mother’s Day was the 9th this year (in the US)! Both my mom’s 75th and our niece’s 16th birthdays were on Thursday and a dear friends is this next Thursday, so I was focused on getting all those things out! Not to mention TheMisterT’s birthday in a couple weeks. ANYWAY… luckily, I already had some earrings for her AND I had everything in stash to make this little pillow box and insert.

RosePillowbox01

6 Likes

May Themes

Pom pom gift tags by Emily Orpin, on Flickr

Color: Purple
Pattern: Numbers and letters.
For: Teachers, educators, etc.
Challenge: Mass produce something. It doesn’t matter what it is, just make a lot of it. If nothing else, they make good “gifts on hand.”

7 Likes

I may just be about done with my Operation Use Up Yarn. My art teacher friend and I were working on building her end of year requisition for next school year, and she was going to purchase some more yarn for a weaving project. I thought she had enough yarn, so I never said anything to her about my stash. I mentioned it today and she said she’d love it! What I have left fits into a Walmart plastic bag. I’m going to show it to her tomorrow, and see how much she wants. This saves me from feeling like I need to make so many more things! I kept back just a few bits that I was working with and one that was hand dyed that I just can’t donate to elementary students, but otherwise, if she takes it all, it’s just about gone!

11 Likes

@Lynx That’s wonderful news! It’s so nice to give away supplies when the receiver has a very specific project in mind - then you know they will get used instead of just languishing in someone else’s stash. I would also hold back the hand-dyed yarn if it was me. We love helping the kiddies and all, but they wouldn’t know how special it was.

I just gave away around 12 yards of fabric to a friend of a friend for their quilting guild’s charity projects. There was some neat stuff in there, but I finally admitted to myself that I work best with small cuts of fabric and find yardage intimidating. This was all stuff left over from my great-aunt’s stash, so not stuff I probably would have chosen for myself anyway.

6 Likes

Wow @Lynx, that’s awesome! you’re an inspiration!

That’s so true @Trillian - it’s a wonderful feeling when you can rehome stash with someone who will use and appreciate it :grinning:

1 Like

I managed to get rid of a bunch of acrylic yarn last year because my Mum’s friend was crocheting a Granny blanket for my Bro. It was so nice to just pass them on to someone that needed them for a project.

3 Likes

A few years ago I was given yards and yards of this camouflage canvas that had been used as draping for tradeshow/convention booths. Several lengthes with 4-ish inch rod pockets that were around 4 yards long and not quite the whole width of the material - they were selvage on one side and serged on the other, but still about 60" wide. Neither TheMisterT nor I are especially into a serious hunter or militia aesthetic, but free fabric is free fabric! I haven’t had a lot of projects for canvas fabric and it seems kind of a waste to use on small things since I have such large pieces, so it was satisfying to use it to cover some storage bins and a whole shelving unit in our mudroom which I have been trying to tidy up a bit.

BinTags01-06

The shelf cover has some hardware bits used to tie back the front to make it easy to get at the stuff on the shelf that are also from stash, as are the hanger clips that attach it to the shelves.

I also made some fun hang tag labels for the bin covers to make it easy to pick the right one the first time! :upside_down_face:

I used on old manilla file folder and scrap cardstock for the tags, ticking leftover from a duvet set I made a few years ago, grommets from my childhood, and butchers twine we had on hand. The whole thing came from stash and required no new expenditure! YEY!

11 Likes

What a fabulous use for large pieces of that type of fabric! How did you make the storage covers? Is is elasticized around? Good way to keep out dust and debris while in storage!

Thanks!

I had initially planned on using elastic (also stash!), but after the first one, I realized it wasn’t necessary… they fit snugly with out it. So I sewed the casing shut and slipped 'em on!

Yes, it keeps the contents clean AND it keeps me from seeing all the chaos inside! I think it’ll help keep the contents of each from spilling into its neighbor, too. Mostly it’s winter things in each, so we’ll see in about 6 months!

3 Likes

Wow, what a difference this must make. I love solutions that hides the mess and makes things easier. And makes a space feel so much better. Great and awesome fix.

2 Likes

So useful and clever! I love your little hanging tags - inspired to try something similar!

1 Like

Thanks, friends!

You always come up with such great solutions!

1 Like

I’ve used up a little bit of stash so far this year! :slight_smile:

A shawl using some of my ‘good yarn’ - I wish I could have made it larger, but I ran out of yarn & it’s discontinued. I’m hoping to find more of it or another coordinating yarn.

(pattern - Ravelry link)

Some blanket squares:

Doll clothes:

Beaded memory wire bracelets using some ‘good beads’ I had saved:

10 Likes