2021 Sustainable mend-along

Nice! I have some of those vintage mending mushrooms, they are so cool.
I did the May challenge in February when I mended swants & sweaters but there are even more holes now so they might still count?

1 Like

I love that towel! It looks very soft and absorbent. I would have made it more repairs than original substance! Great job! And I hope your knee feels better!

2 Likes

@AIMR I think I am the only person left that uses 2 pillow cases as a standard! Always put one on then another in the opposite direction

@Annchen really nice mending job! I end up darning my hand knit socks and its kind of cathartic to work on matching the weave on anything like this, nice job!

2 Likes

I have never heard of this. It makes me wonder if there is additional functionality? Should I be doing this?

Now that is a good idea as well! I could use less expensive ones as the under layer and the nicer ones on top!

I have pillow protectors under the cases, they zip & fit tightly so no foldy business trying to get another case on top.
(yes, all the kids are sleep droolers! haha)

If you have sleep droolers in the family it really cuts down on ruined pillows…

1 Like

Ohhhhhh!!! Interesting! Thank you for explaining!

I have the ones that have some terry cloth so they hold the cases on nicely. I use them in my guest room because I have some very nice pillows in there and multiple people will be sleeping on them. They wash nicely and can be sanitized as well I also only use white linens because of how easy they are to keep clean and bright. I can then go crazy with covers and quilts and throw pillows!

1 Like

I set up a bag to take little mending projects with me when I take my kid to visit my mother-- last time I fixed a skirt & a mask cord for me; this yesterday I did 2-1/2 pairs of leggings my child ripped the knees on, and some places where the pockets of a skirt I got didn’t quite stitch closed. Progress!

3 Likes

I was raised with the 2 cover system. Also, when I have traveled the better hotels do this. I seriously always thought it was a thing until they started coming out with the cases with the flap. I was like what is this for? But, if you use a satin like case on the outside for hair/skin they don’t slip as much with the double case, and if you change your pillow case very few days you just change the outer. The inner is a weekly swap out. I still have protectors on the pillow it self but yeah lots less drool/yellow/nasty pillows as well

3 Likes

ok–I took the prompt and just did it…I have some really nice PJ tops that button…they are made of a knit, so the buttonholes stretch out over time. The tops are in great condition but I don’t wear them because I end up, er, topless, by morning when all of the buttons come undone…

Well, the fix is easy…a few stitches to tighten the buttonholes…now I have two more tops in rotation! YAY!

5 Likes

My DH has had these hemp beach pants for nearly 20 years, and the waistband was just sad. He literally has worn huge gaping holes in it and you can see the elastic in several places. The rest of the pants are in remarkably good condition, with the exception of a couple small holes where the fabric is wearing thin. Woven hemp is such an amazing fabric. It’s a lot like linen, maybe a bit heavier, and it only gets softer with age. Definitely worth saving.

I picked out the seam, removed the elastic and drawstring, and took measurements. The best fabric match I had in stash was a leopard print linen. I made a new waistband, then carefully cut away the old one. Stitched everything together, added eyelets for the drawstring, and threaded new elastic and cord.

There was a thin section on one leg that was starting to get holey, so I took a small piece of the old waistband and basted it to the back of the fabric. I used straight stitches to do some visible mending in the same color as the fabric. It’s subtle, and hubby-approved.

17 Likes

That turned out really nice!

1 Like

It looks great! The new waistband is a nice pop of colour but not distracting.

2 Likes

Nice save! Definitely worth saving…love how your reinforcing stitching blends right in and yet gives it a nice, “love these pants” feel…

2 Likes

I am officially DBQ. Distracted By Quilt!
Great job tho.

1 Like

Great job! Hemp really is worth salvaging its sooo comfortable once its all broken in and soft

2 Likes

Thanks! :heart:

New challenge inspired by this:

It was a hole near the bottom hem of my top and I didn’t bother taking it off before mending it :laughing:

11 Likes