2021 Sustainable mend-along

Finally got out a couple feet of this yarn to fix my scarf!

Not the tidiest of mends, but given how hard I had to look to find the holes, I’m not too concerned.

8 Likes

My mending pile has been neglected this month. I’ve added a pair of fairy wings needing a fix so now it looks quite jazzy, though, so not a total fail :laughing:

8 Likes

Um, fairy wing repair is urgent business!!

3 Likes

Hmmm… perhaps I should embrace my mending pile and start decorating around it :laughing:

2 Likes

Here’s the place to visit for “Certified Wand and Wing Repair”!!

8 Likes

Omg!! I love that!!:heart_eyes:

Sounds like the best solution. Add a channel.

And if you take elastic and add ties to the ends for the cord, you give yourself more give. And we all need give in our sweatpants.

3 Likes

Fixed some pants. Pants I made out of an old sweater, how’s that for a sustainable mend job?

A sweater.

Now I’m working on the man’s cardigan, it seems like it’s more holes than wool at this point.

13 Likes

Good idea! Now, I just need to see if I have suitable elastic on hand. I’ll be shocked if I don’t.

Today I did some maintenance on my beautiful cutting board from Plum Creek Design - it was very dried out and rough from many years of use. Sanding it by hand I couldn’t go deep enough to completely resurface it, but it does feel very smooth now (80 grit, 120 grit, then 220 grit). Then I rubbed it with food safe mineral oil for a protective coating.

Before . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . After

15 Likes

I love that cardigan!!!

I almost wish for moth holes so I can dot my sweater so colorful! :rofl:

3 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. Because a purposeful dotting would feel disingenuous.

1 Like

The green dots are so fun!

1 Like

Every time I put those cashmere pants on, more holes appear. I wonder if they are just falling apart? Ugh, so much sewing already. How do I recycle them into something else afterwards? Like a hat? Or a scarf? I couldn’t stand to just throw them out after all those hours of patching.

A hat and a scarf? I think that would be great!

Felt them and mittens?

oh no…moth larvae can be insidious…perhaps the fabric is more weakened than you thought! Hope you find something to make if you have to give them up as swants!

They were well felted when they stopped being wearable as sweaters & I put them through a very hot dryer cycle after we found holes in our woolen closet stuff. I even bagged & froze all the wool for 3 weeks & totally cleaned the closet. I do wonder if the fibers are just weakened & can’t maintain integrity. I’ll hot launder them again & see what happens.

1 Like

Save the Swants!!!

2 Likes