2022 Destash-Along

Today’s make. A new tote to take on holiday next month.

I really should sew more, I felt I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to remember what to do and still messed up a few times along the way :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Turned out nice, though! What a fun print!

1 Like

I have had it for so many years, made a couple of pouches out of it but then it sat waiting. I want a new tote so ta-da! A good practice before thinking about something more adventurous.

Now my Mum wants me to make a bandana for her boyfriend’s dog using it!!

Mum got very put out by the “girly” bandana the groomer put on him, so now keeps asking for skully bandana’s.

I have to be careful, last time my brother moaned his dogs didn’t get bandanas!! (I don’t know their sizes!!)

2 Likes

Could you make the type of bandana, for your brother’s dogs, that fits over a collar? I have a few of those for my dog and we love them.

Bro hasn’t confirmed whether his dogs do or do not wear collars - I have asked!!!

He can wait, and moan again until he gives me info!!!

4 Likes

Fiddling around with new dies means digging through my cardstock stash. Lots of embellishments which have their own post and a few cards for Halloween.

5 Likes

hugs! nice to work with supplies you got from your mom’s stash, I imagine~

2 Likes

This sounds so much like my grandparent’s house. Almost 70 years of stuff in every cupboard and hidey hole. But some definite treasures were found. I’m glad you found some fun crafty stuff.

1 Like

Yes, we’re dealing with that too, tho my aunt is the front lines of it. It’s a lot, in all senses of the word, but I’m glad you found some things to keep that speak to you. :green_heart:

2 Likes

I know it’s early days of September still, but I added the October prompts. I’ll be away from my computer a lot or all of the time between 9/25 and 10/2 and very preoccupied with things until then and didn’t want to forget.

October
Color: Orange
Pattern: Stripes
For: Comfort
Challenge: Maybe someone in your circle has lately had a tough time or is supporting someone who is. Maybe there’s a charity that could use items for their mission, for a fund raiser, or to reward their volunteers. Maybe your pet could use a new bed, a family member could use new socks, a friend could use some encouraging mail, or a co-worker some uplifting office/cubical/desk décor. How about tea/coffee/cocktail accessories or a baked treat?

4 Likes

In other news, I destashed a bunch of construction & house stuff at the building materials reuse place today! Including the old air compressor which took up a lot of space and was a beast to move. Sadly, the coffee can of organized fasteners got missed and is still in the back of the car. D’oh! And tomorrow the friend who has been storing some stuff in our shop is coming to pick it up. WOO!

4 Likes

This is what my sister, brother, and I were doing last week. Destashing my mom’s house. This is the trash and at least 10 pickup loads went to a thrift store. My mother had a MIS (Master in Stashing) and no ability to destash. And this pile is only day 3.

I did grab a few items and then shipped 2 boxes of her costume jewelry to myself. I’ll keep some and donate the rest.

8 Likes

Y’all are doing good work. It looks and sounds like a BIG job and it’s impressive that you all are going through and dispersing thoughtfully.

1 Like

Oof. Flashbacks to emptying my parents’ house, where we swore Dad’s collections of electronics magazines were holding up the house. Two Great Depression babies, both collectors & enablers. I felt it was an impossible task, every time i went to the house to work … it took my teenage type-A, driven, no-nonsense niece three days to clean out the basement & give me hope again that we would one day finish. She drove my nephews & brothers hard those three days, and it was glorious. And it made me vow not to put her through it again because of me. Destash! Destash! :wink:

7 Likes

Yeah, I just threw out over 40 years of tax returns and personal papers…I have set myself a task to consolidate, trash, donate, etc. each week. My nephew has already told me that he is not even going to go through our stuff…just haul it all to the dump! So, I am trying to give my nieces and other relatives things NOW…I also managed to use up one bin of yarn over the last year! I actually have an empty container! lol

8 Likes

Dad saved AAA Trip-tiks from the 60s. For trips we never even took. Aaaaaaaaa. :wink:

My own destashing: i was saving some dresses that don’t fit, to turn into fabric & use, but … it has been three years. So i gave them instead to a friend who just got her first office job (instead of retail) and she will actually wear them!

5 Likes

Yes mom was a depression era kid too. Grew up on a rented farm where they provided most their own food. She had two dresses for school and shoes came off as soon as possible at home to save them.
She did warn us! But her request was to give away as much as we could, no estate sale if possible. I think we honored her wishes.

7 Likes

No pics, but I used some of the scraps of this cat print to wrap a couple of gifts I will be taking on a quick trip I’m going on in 8 days. One is a book with fabric wrapped around it and secured with orange ric rac, and the other is a small box-bottom bag with a ribbon tie that’s white grosgrain with black polka dots.

5 Likes

This might be just the challenge needed to inspire double your destashing!

3 Likes

Managed another skein down from the yarn stash. Moses basket

4 Likes