2022 Mend and maintain-along

My old doll is from 1950. I used acne cream that had benzoyle peroxide in it to clean the skin. I even took out crayon, ink, marker and very old grime! Test spot on the the back of the arms.

You don’t want to damage the inside voice box thingy, so not sure about the cloth parts. Maybe a damp cloth after you vacuum clean off what you can.

I think it might not be so creepy because of the eyes…those moving eyes that look more realistic freak me out, and yes, that is what my doll has so she stays in a memory box! lol

3 Likes

I forgot to mention that I had this doll in plain yellow! We called her Beanie and somewhere is a pic of me with her on xmas morning around 1973. I think that the fact that she doesn’t look at all like a real baby helps her not be creepy. No uncanny valley!

4 Likes

I looked on ebay and there are all sorts of colors she came in! I never knew!

1 Like

Pretty sure mine was yellow and that I had a “matching” set of jammies.

1 Like

Tonight I gave the new studio set up a spin & did a whole bunch of mending & alterations. It was so great.

7 Likes

Had to do an “urgent” strap repair on Her Ladyship’s Moana costume. It’s her current hyper-focus story and she happened to get a slightly too large hand-me-down dress up costume from some friends. Hours of fun, but I always have to play Maui.

8 Likes

We are contemplating Halloween costumes here. Of course what coordinating character I will be is always a part of the discussion. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I am still working on my big mend-the-woodshed’s-floor-structure project. Sigh. I need TheMisterT’s help for the next step and am just crossing my fingers that the pier blocks I was able to get will work out vs the ones I wanted to get. Progress is partly challenged by the Unhealthy to Hazardous air quality we’ve had over the last several days. UGH.

4 Likes

My child explained to me what costume she wanted yesterday morning & by the time she got back from school was already asking me when I was going to make her hallowe’en costume with the implication that I should have started already. The argument of “You have a month and a half” was insufficiently compelling.

7 Likes

LOLOLOL…gotta love the excitement, right?! My kids change their mind at least three times, so I am always starting last minute!!

4 Likes

Maybe I should have made the September or October challenge about Halloween… I forget it’s such a big deal!

I have absolutely not made a plan for mending this month… All my planning mojo is spent at work at the moment.

But I did start cutting up old undies for rags today.

4 Likes

I accomplished a “big” mend today! With help from TheMisterT. Our woodshed floor needed some shoring up underneath and last week I cut through the floor (a requirement of getting under there) and today we jacked up some of the stringers and pounded some pier blocks under them. Then I reattached the floor boards so we can start loading firewood for this winter tomorrow. WOO!

11 Likes

Ya, girl. Gittin’ it done!

2 Likes

Teeny fix… the bottom came unglued

Also… our all in one shower tower unit gave up the ghost so husband has bodged together a working shower from parts. No pictures but my bathroom is a disaster

5 Likes

Oh, looky here! A new site-wide challenge! Maybe this could inspire a new approach to a piece on our mending piles!

4 Likes

I mended a lamp for a friend the other day. Then decided to buy it from her to give to TheMisterT for xmas.

5 Likes

Careful, your clown yard skelly might get jealous and come a’calling. :skull::clown_face::scream:

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Uh-oh. They’re both hanging out in the same closet [skeletons in my closet joke here] right now! Maybe they’ll become fast friends!

7 Likes

I watched a video about historical fashion, and more specifically historical maternity fashion. And… for long periods of time there just weren’t any. Womens clothing could just accomodate changes in shape, because it wasn’t practical or affordable to have separate sets of clothes for being pregnant.

I think that’s really interesting from a sustainability perspective. I mean, with a menstrual cycle the body changes shape even without pregnancy, so why not have shape changing clothes in the wardrobe too?

Too bad I’ve never made bigger garments… Because I doubt fast fashion companies would like to design something that helps me buy less clothes.

5 Likes

Thats something that I hadn’t ever thought about either. I have done some genealogy (Genealogy thread here!) and many of my ancestors were having children for 20 years, so 9 months pregnant, probably a reasonable period breastfeeding, then pregnant again. So their body would have been constantly changing.

2 Likes