2023 DeStash-Along

Things got so much calmer in my crafting spaces once I honed in on a few crafts rather than trying to keep supplies on hand for everything that strikes my fancy. Originally that was fabric, yarn, and a defined container for decorative paper. But over the past few years I have discovered that I am a social knitter and since my knitting group petered out over the pandemic I don’t have much inclination to knit solo. There’s going to be a great purge of yarn although I don’t plan to get rid of everything.

4 Likes

You doll dresses are so tiny and perfect, @Trillian.

I sometimes wish I could focus on just a few crafts, but every time I’ve tried that, I rediscover a love for something old or find something entirely new. Must be the way I’m wired… temporarily obsessed, then on to something else, repeat. Cyclical interest? :person_shrugging:

I did, however, just get rid of a kitchen bag full of fabric scraps that will never get used and are probably of no interest to anyone else. Moving all my craft stuff to the basement will probably entail a decent purge.

5 Likes

Nooooo! All I can think of are all the precious bitty bits of batik, waaahhh :sob:

2 Likes

Lol, none of that! No, this was bits of clothing scraps too small for the rag bin, little pieces of fleece and batting, fabric that shed glitter… Nothing I could really use for scrap quilts or clothing. No quilting fabrics were harmed in the destash!

3 Likes

lol We all have to be on the look out when we destash for “certain” people who would snatch up even the smallest pieces…ha ha ha…I think of these “certain” people with much guilt and trepidation each time I toss a piece in the garbage…hey, if it is smaller than my thumb, it is going out!

2 Likes

You guys, my heart :broken_heart: I can not even.

3 Likes

lol You know I keep a lot more with you in mind!!! I just know you will know if I throw out anything “good”…ha ha ha…love your scrappy saving self… :kissing_heart:

1 Like

YES, PLEASE! Your tiny, gorgeous dresses deserve their own thread!!!

2 Likes

I recently came to the realization that I will not likely be able to eliminate any type of craft from my repertoire or its supplies from my stash, but for some reason I am able to decide not to add any totally new crafts. No more new jewelry stuff - I just don’t do it, but I will commit to a couple projects to use what I have over the next couple of years and then purge. But it’s OK to deepen and expand on the crafts I already do using tools I already have - like doing more HTV with my Cricut. It’s not a solution for a lot of people, but it feels like a breakthrough for me!

5 Likes

Yes, i am diving deeper into embroidery than ever before, and really enjoying exploring things i never thought i could do. Learning not only new stitching techniques, but the use of different tools & supplies. It feels good to let go of something where I was never “good enough” - and i don’t mean anyone was judging me, but more like my own body never got comfortable enough to let me get better at it. I have been knitting for decades but always had to look up how to purl left-handed continental! :rofl:

3 Likes

Cyclical interest is exactly how I roll too! I have basic supplies for probably 15 different crafts, but am only into a couple of them at a time.

I feel like I’ve been pretty successful keeping to only purchasing supplies for the craft I’m currently doing, and my newest push is to be stricter about not buying new supplies until I actually get to the step where it’s required. Example from literally this morning - I theoretically want to make a knit wrap dress, which I need test fabric for, before I make it in my nice fabric. But I’m not allowed to buy it until I have the pattern traced and ready to go, because chances are I’ll get distracted before that point.

5 Likes

That’s a great way to do it!

I always find that I get really caught up in the research/shopping stage for larger projects (just about everything is large to me) and then lose steam when it comes time to actually craft. Your strategy seems like a good way to keep the momentum going.

3 Likes

That sounds like you have an amazing amount of restraint! That’s awesome.

1 Like

Crushing the stash! 3 scrappy baskets filled with 4 carrot treat bags each, almost entirely from stash! I’m so happy about this project!

6 Likes

Happy Easter to anyone who celebrates, and Happy Day Before Half-Price Pastel Candy for those who don’t!

I completely forgot I had this fat eighth in my stash until this weekend. There’s still enough left over for maybe two more dresses depending on the size.

11 Likes

Adorable little dresses. Are they sisters or best friends?

1 Like

@irid3sc3nt They’re buddies. Always fun to match your bestie.

Hazel needed a pastel dress for Easter too. Third variation of the Turin & Katten Lizbeth dress (off the shoulder version)

9 Likes

Your tiny prints are just so adorable!

1 Like

Very cute print and look at those tiny shoes!

1 Like

I had an unexpected destash today. I was moving stuff to my new craft space, and found a fabric bin of acrylic yarn scraps that had a small amount of food crumbs in it - probably from a mouse. No other evidence of mouse habitation, but it got binned, just in case. I was planning on destashing everything in it anyway, just not into the garbage.

The big destash starts this week. The basement is almost finished, and stuff needs to move to the craft area or into backroom storage, and I am limiting myself to whatever fits.

7 Likes