2024 DeStash Along

I almost never buy embroidery floss because I have so many deceased people’s stash… it doesn’t take up that much space though. Four or five boxes full of bobbins and a small drawer of fabric. I hardly ever buy supplies at all and I stitch a lot.

9 Likes

This is where I find myself. I love being able to use stash for things I make - that I can wonder into my craft closet or the shelves in the shop to find something that will work or even that will be just right for a project. And still I need less stuff in the closet and on the shelves in the shop. So often even a stash-busting-specific project doesn’t really make a difference in the overall volume - like allllll those napkins I made in March (43, double-sided) didn’t really change my fabric stash. I really may have to take up old-fashioned scrap quilting to really make a difference there.

6 Likes

I think we need to embrace the fact that many of us craft as we are inspired. When I see something or need something to make, it feels great to think about what I have on hand that I can use. It starts the creative process. I don’t consider basic supplies to be stash that I need to destash…things like fabrics for lining or using to back quilts, mugrugs, etc. I always have a stash of “neutral” fabrics.

For me, the destash has to be fabrics that I bought with no specific project in mind but no longer like or want the fabric (such as novelty prints, etc.). Same with yarn…I am almost at the point where all I have are supplies and things I have purchased for specific projects. Some types of fabric will always be available to me for inspired projects, especially Halloween and holiday fabrics.

I also can’t imagine my life without a “stash”.

7 Likes

I look at the stash situation as a pantry- I want to have ample staples and favorites on hand but I don’t need a stockpile of “just because” items. I want to be able to “cook,” I don’t need to “cook” from what’s on hand for the next 70 years.

7 Likes

Great analogy! I am trying to get my husband to adopt this. I opened up a package of saltines and after one bite, spit them out…they had gone rancid…when I checked the expiration, it was 2019! Some things aren’t meant to be hoarded and crafting supplies are the same way!

4 Likes

For me, at stash is a requirement for creativity. I also don’t consider thins that are basic to my mediums to be stash or at least not troublesome stash. Neutral threads, a bazillion types of adhesives, half a bazillion pairs of scissors, and the like. I have mostly stopped buying more specific stuff (novelty prints, etc.) just to stash it which I feel great about. But I still have some of that stuff and still have the remnants and scraps-of-a-decent size from completed projects. I mean, that’s how I was able to make a bunting from underpants scraps, right? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: It was fun to make and I love how it turned out, but it also did not really diminish the overall volume of stuff in my possession.

Two things stand in my way of really purging:

1. I can’t just throw these things away and there aren’t good donation, or even selling, options for most of my kinds of stash.
  2. I don’t really like to give gifts that aren’t specific to the recipient. So like, while I may have a print that I know someone would like, they wouldn’t necessarily want anything I could make from it. Like they have all the potholders and coasters and throw pillow and whatever already or are not the fabric bin/bowl cozy/cloth napkin type. Also, only one of the friends that I exchange gifts with is not in a down-sizing/purging/minimizing mode.
12 Likes

You hit the nail on the head…there is more stuff I want to make but no one to give it to anymore…I have a stockpile of handmade objects in a bin.

Thanks…I think you have given me a criteria for reducing my stash before I move…I am going to keep fabrics that I can make some crossover bags for myself, napkins (always in use for dinners with family and friends), coasters (my brother uses them a lot and also gives them away to his friends), fabric baskets and rope baskets…

7 Likes

I struggle with all of these things. And also beautiful old tools, I’m enamoured of those. But they sit in the basement gathering dust so… I’ve decided to let them go, including an old hand-crank & my grans wood dome cased Singer. And a few other machines - don’t judge!
I’ll keep a very good straight stitch, a mid-range domestic, and a serger.
I’m looking at the bead collection next. It’s pretty big & I hardly ever use it.

8 Likes

When I packed up my Brother embroidery machine, I questioned whether I should donate it. I haven’t touched it on over 5 years (except to run it and oil it to keep it in good condition). I keep telling myself I will embroider more or use all of the fancy stitches, but I haven’t.

I am like you…give me a good, heavy straight stitch/zigzag machine and my serger and I can be very happy sewing!

7 Likes

I have a memory quilt to make & would like to include an embroidery patch like @MistressJennie did for Jacob. I’ll rent the library maker space machine for that. Or ask my folks here for help. Or come & visit you, that would be the most fun :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

I found a great venue for destash; the Ongoing Wishlist swap! Hoping to rehome a bunch of miniatures that are way too good for Goodwill.

Actually, I can do pretty much any swap from stash. Only problem with that is that people send ME stuff in return!

7 Likes

That’s where the “Shop the swap” swap comes in handy- you select what comes to you (perfect for gift shopping!)

3 Likes

Oh, my, no. That place is way too dangerous!

5 Likes

That seriously sounds like the ideal, minimalist collection of sewing machines.

I did a little stash busting in my jewelry-making supplies yesterday. Barely made a dent. The cardigan I’m knitting is all stash, too.

I like that analogy, @AntBee. My pantry is still too full of supplies that were ‘just because’ or leftovers in quantities that are still usable. Other than a few apparel fabric acquisitions and some supplies to finish off projects, I’ve been really good the last couple months about not buying more. But, I would really like to get through some of these hoarded treasures and make something useful.

6 Likes

Spinning wheel & floor inkle loom sold! & the loom went to a neighbour who holds crafty nights at her place, so exciting!

8 Likes

That’s amazing. Sounds like they’re going to worthy homes!

3 Likes

Yay for good homes for crafty things!

3 Likes

Ooh, so you get to visit it sometimes? :grin:

4 Likes

She said something about inkle classes so ya, hope so!

4 Likes

So much stuff given away to that neighbour! Yarn swift, huge reels of wool, weaving bits & bobs, etc. & she bought a cabinet!

The pile is dwindling, so super happy about that.

14 Likes