80s Frankenstein dress

I went to an 80s themed quiz night last year and I could not find any plus size 80s dresses. So I bought two and made a Frankenstein dress.

I had more than a few pangs of guilty about cutting into the puffy sleeve dress as it was in perfect vintage condition, but I rationalised that it was unlikely that it would get bought and put in a museum.

I didn’t get a pic of the second dress, but it was a tube dress that I couldn’t even get my leg into. I cut the back open so all four panels were at the front.

Bonus points: can anyone guess who hubby was, as no one on the night knew and he was rather disappointed.

19 Likes

Josh Brolin in Goonies. Clearly!

That dress is da bomb giggetty! Girl, you did so awesome.

4 Likes

The dress looks amazing once you’ve edited it, sadly the vintage had to go, but if it was special it would have been in a museum, as you said XD

And I was certain I had seen hubby before, but I so suck with connecting names to faces, which also goes for faces to movies, but I was CERTAIN I had seen him in something old not long ago. So glad @Magpie had the answer because if not I would probably spend an hour or two googling until I did find him XD Saw the movie about 3 months ago with my son, first time he has seen it, so much fun :smiley:

1 Like

We just rewatched it the other day, I love that stupid movie :smile:

2 Likes

Awesome job combining the two dresses! You look great!

Also, I like the color. . . I went to an 80’s dance party in early December and was disappointed that most people were wearing black.

1 Like

HIGHLY unlikely.

Also, you rawked the heck outta that look.

And your Brolin man sidekick is awesome, too!

1 Like

Thanks everyone! This blue is one of my faves, my bridesmaids wore it. It’s such an 80s colour and it made it easy to just train my eye to all the royal blue on the ok shop racks.

Hubby is happy everyone knows who he is. :grinning:

1 Like

!!! THis came out SUPER fantastic! You guys were ADORABLE!

1 Like

I just asked my son if he knew who it was, his memory is also similar to mine so I gave him a hint, “aaah, the big brother in goonies”

1 Like

You did a fab job with the dress…it definitely screams 80s :smiley:

1 Like

Yes to the 80s blue! So easy to match with the powder blue eyeshadow :wink: Amazing job joining the two dresses together. I love the ruching detail in the front!

2 Likes

My mum had a slinky ruched dress in the 80s, so as soon as I saw it I knew it had to be bought!

2 Likes

How absolutely clever you are!

1 Like

Excellent redo! Looks like you and hubby had a great time :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a great new life for old hanger rags!
I wore my 1986 wedding dress for Halloween a couple of years ago. Stuff shouldn’t be locked away…kind of like the line from Hello Dolly: “Money is like manure, you have to spread it around to do any good.”

2 Likes

Exactly right!

Nice redesign-- Looks great on you. I like the sleeve-to-jacket makeover, and combining the ruched bit with the mini-train is just grand! I hope you get a lot of use out of it!

1 Like

He’s totally Brand from The Goonies! You both look awesome!

1 Like

This is great! I want to learn how to sew and create fun items like this. I love how your costume turned out. :heart:

1 Like