A Nightmare for Christmas

Previously in my world . . .

https://forum.lettucecraft.com/t/snapshot-what-are-you-working-on-today-part-2/19592/4730?u=some_girl

I was working on a diorama for my daughter for Christmas. (She’s 26 with an almost 2 yr old daughter of her own now and a massive horror movie fan.)

I have a ton of pictures and videos so I’ll try not to go overboard but suffice it to say it’s an extensive piece and luckily my SO helped me to complete it in time for Christmas.

We hollowed out an old tv/vcr combo unit to enclose the diorama within and I got to work building out the boiler room where Freddy hangs out and sharpens his glove, plays Wordle to pass the time, and avoids the people trying to reach him regarding his car’s extended warranty.

It’s crafted mostly of found objects. Bits and bobs I had in the stash, some parts I scavenged out of things I bought at the surplus store near my house, the dollar store, and things I made from base materials like foam board, clay, beads etc.

Freddy himself was a little bit of a challenge because the figures were not scaled properly for the room. I considered 3D printed items but at the end of the day I don’t own a 3D printer and would not have had as much control over his stance or the final look. I purchased a 6 inch Star Wars figure and a 7 inch flea
market Freddy with damaged and missing parts and set about making a properly scaled Freddy.

I didn’t want to leave the front of the unit open as she does have pets and the toddler to think about so my SO set to work making a form from the removed screen and we heated some plexi up just until it was pliable enough that it began to droop, then clamped it onto the form to mimic the curve and create a plexi replacement screen.

Red LEDs were wired around the vhs area to create a little glow and a white one was wired up to act as the interior lighting. I loved the way the amber light looked but it also washed away the colour so I had to go with white in the end. We installed a push button power on/off switch on the back of the unit as the original power button on the front was pretty flimsy. I neglected to take any pictures of that but the tv is able to stay plugged in and turned on and off at will.

This is a pretty brief over view and if anyone has questions about specific items just ask away! Trying to keep it a brief read here and not drown you in pictures but I’m also pretty satisfied with the overall outcome and my daughter was pretty happy with her gift so it’s a win!

23 Likes

Oh my goodness! This is insanely amazing! I love every bit of it. The fire in the boiler is such a great touch, too. I love that it is encapsulated in a TV.

1 Like

Thank you :heart: It was definitely a fun project. The fire in the boiler is also little LEDs, two amber and one red to create just the right glow for fire. I love making dioramas!

2 Likes

You are VERY talented at it!

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I looooovvvve thisssss sooooo muuuuuch! ACK! So many awesome details with all the finishes and lights and pieces and and and! Making it inside a TV cabinet with the VHS tape is freaking genius! And knowing that the car warranty calls can’t get in there… swooooooon!

5 Likes

Thank you :hugs: a little humour makes this winter cold snap more bearable lol.

2 Likes

Oh my gosh! This might just be the coolest diorama I’ve ever seen! Recreating a scene inside a tv?! Adding the vhs? So genius!

Top notch work!

2 Likes

I’m in awe!

2 Likes

This is truly amazing! Thank you for sharing all the details!

1 Like

Thank you :hugs: I take a lot of inspiration from pictures and images and things I see in passing. I have another little tv I’ve been lugging around and I’m still deciding whether I’ll make it into a diorama for myself or a terrarium for cacti with working lights. The problem with cacti is always keeping them alive lol. I can keep a bunch of finicky house plants happy but if you give me a cactus I’ll kill it every time lol.

2 Likes

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks! I should get better at documenting the smaller touches but when I’m into it I complete entire pieces without taking any pictures at all :woman_facepalming:t2: like the kerosene tank is an upside down pill bottle which I painted the inside red and added surface textures, decals etc. but I never remember when I’m in the moment lol.

2 Likes

holy cow! this is just amazing! what great detail.

1 Like

Thank you :hugs:

This is so freaking amazing!!! I absolutely love this.

1 Like

That is genius! I am in awe of your creativity and skills. (I wouldn’t have guessed Freddie played Wordle!)

1 Like

Absolutely fascinating.

1 Like

Incredible detail. Your eye for using every day objects is amazing. Stunning work!

1 Like

Thanks ladies! It’s always fun to look at things in new ways and figure out how I can achieve the vision.