A Pile of Sari Silk Bowls, Trivets & Coasters

I was stumped for what to make for the Gift Exchange at the Midwest Meetup, so I decided to dig around my stash to see if something sparked a fun idea. When I poked around my yarn drawers I found a skein of Sari Silk Ribbon Yarn from Darn Good Yarn. It’s made from strips of cloth from recycled saris, and the colors are so vibrant and glorious. I decided to show them off, by trying a craft I had been meaning to try for ages, making a rope bowl. I watched several YouTube videos on making the bowls, then dove in.

I started with an oval trivet, to get the hang of it.

After that, I went on to a small/medium bowl. Both of these projects together became my Meetup gift.

Meanwhile, my parents FaceTime often to see my daughter, and dad caught a glimpse of the bowl, and wanted one. I was out of ribbon yarn, and DGY was out of stock too! I decided to check eBay, and found 2 skeins with their tags, for just $20! Score! I created a new bowl for my dad. It came out a bit bigger than I was planning…

So after the first bowl for dad, I decided to make a second smaller one to nest inside it. I wasn’t sure what he’d want to use it for, but possibly something like a place for his wallet and keys. This way he had options, and I got to use up the last of the cotton clotheslinen rope! Win-win, right? Nope. I ran out of rope about 3 rows short of the top. I ran back over to Walmart where I got the first batch of clothesline, only to discover that they are renovating the store, and everything is torn apart, and in different areas! I ended up finding some more at Ace Hardware, though it was a slightly different size, and oval rather than round. Thankfully you can’t tell looking at it.

Here are the two next to each other for size comparison.

After the second bowl, and now that I had a second bundle of rope, and still had some sari silk, I decided to make a set of coasters. @sheepBlue made me some scrappy ones years ago, and we LOVE them. In fact, DH & I were arguing over them, because we both liked to walk away with them, so Em actually made us a second set, AND some trivets. We literally use them every single day, in multiple rooms, so I figured dad would love a set too.

My mom just redid her kitchen, in black and white with touches of purple, so I used a few purple jelly roll strips to make her a trivet too.

Now I just have about 50-70 yards of rope to use up… :rofl: Guess I’m making more rope items for holiday gifts.

27 Likes

These are great. I love the bright vibrant colors. Useful crafts are always a win.

2 Likes

Those turned out great! The sari silk is so vibrant, I love it :heart:

1 Like

I love seeing these rope bowls…no two are ever alike and all turn out really fun and funky!

1 Like

These are so cute! And oh darn, too bad you have to make more. :crazy_face:

Were they hard on your machine/needle? I’m curious about doing these, but I worry about needles breaking and I’m wondering if my fears are unfounded.

1 Like

No filament in the rope and Microtex or titanium needles are what I use. I have never broken a needle making over 30 of these.

2 Likes

I used a fresh needle, and had no trouble whatsoever, over the whole set. The clothesline is all cotton and about 1/4”. Give it a shot! If you’re really worried, you can wear a set of safety glasses. :blush:

Such vibrant colors! Gorgeous!

1 Like

The meetup one is miiine, so it’s a good thing Dad gets his own :laughing:. Coasters are a great addition.

2 Likes

These are really pretty and vibrant!

1 Like

Ah-mazing! The colours are just incredible.

1 Like

The colours are spectacular! Great use of your stash to make such beautiful gifts.

1 Like

I have a hank of sari yarn from DGY that I have never put to use. Those trivets are calling my name!

I haven’t had the best luck making these types of projects. My old machine liked to skip stitches. But I don’t think I’ve tried with my new(er) (to me) Bernina. Inspired!

1 Like

The good thing about these, is you’d never notice a skipped stitch anyways. You can also use up random thread spools and bobbins, because it just adds to the scrappiness. I used up a bunch of black and navy spools and bobbins for the bowls, and like 4 different shades of purple thread on my mom’s trivet, and you really can’t tell.

You don’t need a specific needle type or size either. I mean, I wouldn’t recommend using the thinest, finest needle in your stash, but I’m guessing you don’t have any for stitching fine silk organza. An 80/12 Universal like you’d use for a quilt block would be perfect. Or even a size up or down from that. Just get some all-cotton clothesline, because if it’s part polyester, it could melt if someone puts something really hot on top.

The skipped stitches with my old machine were actually really noticeable. I attempted several fabric wrapped bowls, but was never happy with the results. :woman_shrugging: Time to try again!

2 Likes

I believe in you my Friend! (And your new machine!) :muscle: :thread: :heart:

Wow, I had to go back to look at the thread you used…what an excellent idea to use up those pesky leftover bits of threads on spools or bobbins!

1 Like

I hate partial spools, where it’s not enough for a whole project, but too much to throw out. Love getting to use them up!

2 Likes

These are so colorful and fun! I love the variety of colors and the usefulness of both bowls and coasters. What beautiful gifts for both of your parents!
I’ve been wanting to make coasters for awhile. I had been thinking of making small patchwork blocks, but rope coasters are such a fun idea and seems like it may actually get done a bit faster.
Do you subscribe to either the Urban Threads or Embroidery Library newsletters? They both have a bunch of embroidery designs for rope basket projects. EL is actually running a sale through today on their rope basket designs. Maybe they’ll have the perfect design for your remaining rope…
They’ve also sent out emails about a free rope basket course that Sulky will be hosting. I’ve been meaning to sign up, since it sounds like it will have a decent amount of information.

1 Like

I do get both newsletters, and saw that sale. I was nervous about whether my perfectly imperfect bowls, would be good enough to then embroider over. I didn’t see anything about the rope basket class from Sulky though. I must have missed that. I’d be way more willing to try, after seeing someone demo it.

1 Like