Abstract Doodle Magnets

Every summer we spend a week at the Jersey Shore hitting up as many boardwalk rides and arcades as we can. We accumulate quite a few of those credit card-like plastic cards that are loaded with credits and scanned at each ride/game. They are reloadable, but we always lose track of them year after year and end up getting new ones. I didn’t want to throw out this pile of plastic, so I covered them in paint and turned them into magnets!

I was inspired by megwell’s magnet refresh and all the Alisa Burke classes I’ve been taking lately.

I had sticky magnet sheets in my stash for ages just waiting for this project. There are still a few more cards just waiting for some paint and a pocket of free time…

Thanks for looking!

18 Likes

I love these SO much! Do you need my address? :wink:

4 Likes

These are great! And love how the inspiration was another lettuce crafter!

1 Like

They’re so great looking and made more so by both the source of the cards and the giving the plastic another life! Be Wild is my fave.

2 Likes

Choose Joy is my favorite one, but these are all very cool and a really clever reuse, too!

2 Likes

Trash to treasure! They’re all great, but I think I’m partial to Be Wild.

1 Like

Haha…these are VERY mailable! :grin: :wink:

Thanks everyone!

1 Like

What a great idea! Love them all. My faves are Hope and that one you are holding. They are all so cool!

1 Like

you are a genius!
I think I tossed a bunch of promo magnets while trying to declutter recently – now I know what to do with any more I find! (also expired gift cards)
These are perfect, my friend :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Once again…never throwing ANYTHING out…lol

Yes, you can definitely tell you classes are paying off big time…these are fabulous…

1 Like

Clever and fun way to use up those plastic cards!

1 Like

I just love seeing things recycled in such an amazing way! These are gorgeous!

2 Likes

These are fantastic !!

1 Like

I love the repurpose of what many would consider garbage into amazing unique pieces of art. I love it!

2 Likes

What a GREAT idea! I have tons of old laundry and loyalty cards that would be great for this!

1 Like

@Abbeeroad
what type of paint did you use? (for future reference)

2 Likes

For this project I used a couple layers of Golden brand gesso as a base, then Amsterdam acrylics for the color and Posca paint pens for embellishment. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

thanks!