Adorable little pattern weights! - tutorial

If you, like me, are not always diligent about pinning patterns to fabric, you need paper weights! Easy to DIY in so many styles. Here’s a pretty quick tutorial for a set of little cuties. I love these!

I looked for the biggest washers I could find at the hardware store. Which ended up not being all that big or heavy so I glued 2 together.

A few circles of batting, a circle of fabric large enough to gather around the stack.

I thought I’d fill the hole in the washer with some circles of thick felt.

Could use batting or stuffing too.

Stack

Gather

Stitch

Last is to glue (or stitch) on a base, I used thick felt.

Great for pins too!

Now to do some sewing…

27 Likes

Cute! Love the idea of pattern weight pin cushions, like being ambidextrous!

1 Like

I was wondering what you were doing with those washers! So, when you’re cutting out a pattern for a shirt or something, you just put these weights down on the paper and then cut around the pattern?

They look great and like a good way to use up some fun fabrics!

1 Like

Neato! I’m not a fan of pinning, and these look like a fun solution.

1 Like

Here’s a little write up about how to use them, they are so handy!

1 Like

Super cute!

1 Like

Cute! They remind me of an itty bitty pin cushion I have that someone made using a bottle cap :heart: I can’t remember who but I’m pretty sure it was from a C-ster swap and I still use it :smile:

2 Likes

I make those too, they are cute!

1 Like

Whoa! Double duty useful!! Thanks for the tute!

1 Like

I made some of the triangle kind. I like these better…flatter and seem to be easier to cut around! Good size as well!

Nice use of scraps!

2 Likes

Really, really charming!

1 Like

I love these and I like the fact you can stick random pins in them too.
Steling this one!

1 Like

No stealing required, please have my encouragement to make some! I used mine today, sooo handy.

1 Like

These are great - fantastic, clear tutorial!

1 Like

Oooh, I like these a LOT!

1 Like

Thanks for the tutorial! What a brilliant thing to have around when sewing with a pattern and using as a pincushion that won’t fall over when you stab it! I love it.

1 Like