Alebrije for Dia De Los Muertos - Halloween Decor Entry 2021

My family decided to make Alebrijes for our Dia De Los Muertos Ofrenda this year (based on the Oaxacan carvings and sculptures by Pedro Linares, and also inspired by the Mexico City Alebrije parade that happens in late October every year.)

This is the Alebrije I made. There is a wire armature with paper to provide shape, covered in plaster strips. Its painted with acrylics. I carefully painted the stomach and tentacles too, even though no one will see them. The spines are toothpicks. Its a little over 2 feet long from nose to tail with a 2 foot wingspan. It’s a foot tall. The picture at the end is my alebrije with the 2 alibrijes my kids made (my alebrije is my only entry, but I wanted to share the kids creations too).

21 Likes

Woah, this is totally fabulous! I love the colors!

1 Like

This is amazing! So many wonderful details! I’m having a hard time wrapping my brain around it’s true size. MAJESTIC!

1 Like

This is utterly AMAZING! Your use of color is so brilliant and vibrant, I’m just in awe. And I loved getting to see the kids creations too!

1 Like

I love this so hard.

1 Like

This is AWESOME. He’s gorgeous.i have a soft spot for paper mache sculptures. Live the colors and design.

1 Like

Those are awesome!

1 Like

This is wicked fun! How did i miss it? Great work!

1 Like