ALL NEW, REIMAGINED Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring 2024

Prompt/Challenge Title: Flourish & Blots
Project Name & Page Link: February Book Binding Adventure
Team: Daily Prophet
Brief Description: My one goal for this month was to make a book. It took me forever to do the typeset, and I found a glaring mistake when I flipped through the pages this morning, but Oh Well! There’s a lot wrong with this but the only way to get better is practice. ~190 page quarter legal size, so about the same size as a trade paperback.

8 Likes

It’s really lovely. It looks like it came from a high end shop.

1 Like

It looks really nice!

1 Like

I wish my city had a Wanderland! Your windows look amazing, @Inselaeffchen.

Your book looks so cool, @Trillian. Love the cover design!

1 Like

I missed yall, everyone’s projects looks so good!! I might join the next round. :purple_heart:

5 Likes

I realized I haven’t updated in a couple weeks! Here’s what I’ve been up to… There are 2 more quilts nearing completion, and a few kids quilt tops for charity in the works. As soon as I finish those off, it’s time to start crafting for Ada’s birthday, so hopefully there will be more to share soon.

Prompt/Challenge Title: Hut on the Rock
Project Name & Page Link: Black + Rainbow BOM Quilt
Team: Witch Weekly
Brief Description:
This lap quilt should have been easy. But I definitely kept adding to it, until it was officially over the top! Instead of 12 Blocks of the Month, I ended up adding to get to 16, then put in sashing and cornerstones. After that I decided to use up some of my stash of Leaders & Enders making a pieced border, and soon this ‘little lap quilt’ was 70" square! It now lives on the queen bed in The Abbeeroad Room (aka the Guest Room).

Prompt/Challenge Title: Leaky Cauldron
Project Name & Page Link: Apple Butter Muffins
Brief Description:
I had a couple of small apples that had some dents and needed to be used up. While I was trying to decide what to make with them, I remembered that my MIL & FIL brought us some Apple Butter from an orchard near their house. So Apple Butter Muffins! I added some chopped pecans too, because I wanted to use them up. These came out HUGE. The pic doesn’t show it because of the angle, but they are super tall, fluffy muffins (especially surprising because I subbed in half whole wheat flour, which is usually a bit heavy. Highly recommend trying them!

Prompt/Challenge Title: Flourish & Blott’s
Project Name & Page Link: Mermaid Tote Bag
Brief Description:
I whipped this up for the little girl who lives across the street, for her birthday. She’s just a few weeks older than Ada, and loves purple, so I used a purple mermaid Fat Quarter from my stash, and pulled scraps in matching colors to go with it. The back is entirely scrappy patchwork 2.5" squares in all shades of purple, pink, and turquoise.

5 Likes

:sparkles: :unicorn: :beers: :owl: :zap: :broom: :mage: :sparkles: :european_castle: :octopus: :zap: :books: :crystal_ball: :sparkles: :unicorn: :beers: :owl: :zap: :broom: :mage: :sparkles: :european_castle: :octopus: :zap: :books: :crystal_ball: :sparkles:

Two months into our reimagined Craftalong! So far we have 12 people participating this round, up from 9 last time. That’s wonderful! Let’s take a look at where we stand in terms of project submissions…

:woman_mage: Witch Weekly :mage: :crystal_ball: :man_mage:
4 readers, 140 beans, for an average of 35 beans per reader.

:newspaper_roll: Daily Prophet :newspaper_roll: :owl: :newspaper_roll:
3 readers, 110 beans, for an average of 36.66 beans per reader.

:cyclone: The Quibbler :cyclone: :sparkles: :cyclone:
3 readers, 250 beans, for an average of 83.33 beans per reader.

:cloud: Which Broomstick
2 readers, 50 beans, for an average of 25 beans per reader.

:sparkles: :unicorn: :beers: :owl: :zap: :broom: :mage: :sparkles: :european_castle: :octopus: :zap: :books: :crystal_ball: :sparkles: :unicorn: :beers: :owl: :zap: :broom: :mage: :sparkles: :european_castle: :octopus: :zap: :books: :crystal_ball: :sparkles:

How is everyone’s winter going? Is it beginning to look like spring where you are? Or are the cold temperatures and snow still going strong? Anyone working on anything fun for spring?

5 Likes

Nice work, everyone! Let’s keep the fun momentum going!

We’ve had a tough winter here, personally. My household is happy to see Spring on the horizon and things in general looking “sunnier.”

Spring projects for me invlolve 2 WiPs I’ll be happy to clear and then some home sprucing Spring Cleaning type vibe-filled ideas after that.

4 Likes

Winter here has a lot less snow than usual - I can even see some grass right now! I’m looking forward to spring and warmer weather, and I’m even looking forward to spring cleaning the house and yard (though cleaning up all of the flower beds is going to take a lot longer than just spring). :slight_smile:

I don’t really have any ‘spring’ projects planned - I’ll just continue working on finishing WIPs and making things out of stash supplies.

3 Likes

After so many years living in the South, and absolutely hating summer, I find I’m actually looking forward to warm weather. Taking walks, even on hotter days, isn’t as miserable as it was in TN, and Ada’s big enough to play on the playground equipment at the nearby park that our neighborhood walking trails connect to. It was in the 70’s for a few days this week, and she loved going over and climbing on everything. And I’ll be honest, I can’t wait to be back in the pool!

4 Likes

Spring is teasing us, with these crazy temperature swings. Can’t wait for the new season! Want to get out in the sunshine. After my current swaps are over, I’ll have lots of things to post. Next up, I have a long list of personal craft commitments.

2 Likes

You’ll have to come swim with us this summer!

1 Like

Haha! I’ll get some sun on my face, but no one has seen my body in a swimsuit since about 1995. Which is just as well.

1 Like

Pam, I’m a human dumpling. No one at my house is judging anyone.

2 Likes

It still seems to be getting dark too early. Our weather has been up and down in temps along with my mood. I’m looking forward to seeing some green again, but I think we have another month to go. We’ll probably get snow dumped on us again, then it’ll melt the next day, then snow, melt, snow, melt, snow, melt, on and on until it’s finally Spring!

I’ll be working on the bookmark swap, then the Prairie Schooler swap after that. I’m really hoping my new organizer can get my craft room in order. I see her this coming week. Currently, I’m making proxies for my geocaching trackables, so lots of cutting and cardstock and double-sided tape. It’s not really a “creative” pasttime.

I started reading Shitty Craft Club.

2 Likes

Had to look up that book…

1 Like

Haha! It’s a “craft book”, but not really? There’s more reading than projects, but it is about having a positive approach about whatever you make.

1 Like

I was traveling for work last week, but Wisconsin was getting wild while I was gone…record temperature swings

No special spring crafts, per se, but we are likely going to rip out the existing garden bed starting next weekend. We will keep our giant raspberry patch, but everything else has gotten out of control, and we need to scale back to something managable during this season of life.

3 Likes

Hey guys, have you checked out the Site News board today?!?!?!

4 Likes

You guys have made so many nice projects since my last post! Well done everyone!

I have been in a slump, but Im thinking Im getting out of it, with an organization-project that I have started! Now I want to craft again!
But I have actually done some crafting while in the slump. I have done some knitting and crocheting (basic socks is an easy project, and African Flower was very nice to work on).

Looking forward to participate more active from now on! :smiley:

3 Likes