ALL NEW, REIMAGINED Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring 2024

Prompt/Challenge Title: Hogwarts Castle
Project Name & Page Link: Cups & Saucers Block and Rainy Day Block
Team: Witch Weekly
Brief Description: There are always many steps in creating a quilt block. Cutting, piecing, cutting again, more piecing, ironing, trimming, and final assembling. Yet somehow I love it. I created these two blocks to help me tie together some BOM’s from the Quiltalong, to make the quilt feel more cohesive. There was too much yellow-green, and not enough golden yellow, so I did one in each color.
Cups and Saucers

Rainy Day Block

Prompt/Challenge Title: Hospital Wing
Project Name & Page Link: Mosaic Block and Barrister’s Block
Team: Witch Weekly
Brief Description: The mosaic block is going into the same quilt as those above, but the Barrister’s Block is going into my Halloween quilt. I found the Mosaic very simple, and the Barrister’s slightly more challenging. But since I’m competent in quilting, I was able to write up some tips on making it for our newer quilters in the Quiltalong.
Mosaic Block

Barrister’s Block

6 Likes

So pretty and precise! I’m not sure I could make a quilt block. I have on my 50 project list to make one for my ma for a pillow, but… I dunno. So much ironing! :sweat_smile:

My latch hook kit is almost finished, I’ll be able to add it soon! I’ll look at categories again and see if it fits.

I do have a question:
I was thinking of using Hogwarts Castle for my latchkit because I had to re-learn how to do one. I totally forgot. The last time I did one was in the late 1980s/early 90s when I was very very young and I don’t think I finished it.
If not, I’ll probably put it under crafter’s choice.

That sounds like a great fit to me. :slightly_smiling_face: And just for future reference, I don’t really judge whether something fits or doesn’t fit a prompt. Really it’s all up to you, and if you feel it fits. Because you have the option of Crafter’s Choice, there’s literally always a space for any project. It’s just where you feel it belongs. :heart: :zap:

2 Likes

Hee hee! I was trying to remember what Crafter’s Choice was called and all I could think was Wizard’s Choice, lol.
I’m excited to have my first project on the board!

Prompt/Challenge Title: Hogwart’s Castle
Project Name & Page Link: Pineapple Latchkit
Team: :cyclone: :sparkles: :cyclone: The Quibbler :cyclone: :sparkles: :cyclone: (moon cheese? I mean, yes of course)
Brief Description: This was a new/old technique for me. I remember working on a latchhook when I was pre-teenager young, but I probably only did a few rows. I had to relearn it all over again which took halfway through the project to get a rhythm going. The project took a long time to make since I tended to work on it in the evening during tv time. I almost gave up. But here it is!

9 Likes

What a great Quibbler project! Seems like something Luna might make. Super cute, and thanks to you (in the other thread), I finally was able to wrap my brain around how latch hook works.

1 Like

I have no idea how they invented the hook, though!

I saw latchhook pencil cases on amazon. I think it would be fun to complete one of those then brush out the yarn. Fuzzy case! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

It came out great!

1 Like

I was also wondering how latchhook would look if you brushed out the yarn. You might have to trim it down a little first…

1 Like

Okay, I’m going to add one of those kits to my list. It sounds so fun and I have a brush that works very well on yarn. The bristles are like steel wool if you straightened it.

It looks great! I made a couple latchhooks when I was younger - one was turned into a decorative pillow and I think the other was crammed back into its box. :grin:

1 Like

Prompt/Challenge Title: Slug & Jiggers Apothecary
Project Name & Page Link: Easy Homemade Ramen
Team: The Quibbler
Brief Description: I used a lot of liquid to made this homemade ramen! I used this recipe, and it turned out really well! My egg does look funny because I hit it too hard when I tried to crack the shell and just broke it in half. :laughing:

Prompt/Challenge Title: The Black Lake
Project Name & Page Link: Twix Cookies
Brief Description: There were many steps to create these cookies! I used this recipe and ended up with 33 cookies. Using parchment paper on the baking sheets worked really well to keep them from sticking - I’ll have to remember to try it next time I make cookies too! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I use parchment paper all. the. time. Tater tots, homemade pizza, cake bottoms, stromboli, it’s all parchment paper. Except for bacon. Cleanup is still easier if you cook it on aluminum foil with a lip on a baking sheet.

Mmm jammy egg!

2 Likes

OMG, how have I never heard of Twix Cookies?!?! Those look delicious!

1 Like

We have a very similar ramen recipe that’s one of our go-tos! The softboiled egg is just DA BEST.

1 Like

It made cleanup so much easier! I don’t know why I haven’t tried it before. I’ve had a roll of parchment paper for years. :laughing:

1 Like

Prompt/Challenge Title: Molly’s Housecraft Challenge: Scrap Busting
Project Name & Page Link: Picnic Quilt
Brief Description: I made a wonky quilt from 99% stash (I had to buy more thread). It’s a bit of a mess because it was thrown together, but it’s just for sitting out in the yard, so it will still protect me from grass stains and dirt. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It looks cozy and homey. Molly Weasley would whole heartedly approve.

3 Likes

All your food projects look so yummy! And the quilt looks so perfect for a picnic or for laying on the grass, looking at the stars.

1 Like