Pineapple LatchKit

I purchased a latchhook kit for myself that featured a smiling pinepple with chunky glasses on a pink background.

If you were following along in the IP discussion, I almost stopped working on it entirely but thanks to the LC crew I was able to push forward. I’m not sure how long I worked on it in total… at least through several episodes of Reacher :laughing:

This is technically the backside, but my son likes it better. It’s pixel art, so of course he loves it.

This company makes a few different designs. For my kit, the base part was not nearly as itchy/scratchy as the one from the early 80s that I made. I also had almost a full roll of yarn pieces leftover.
It took a bit to get into a pseudo-rhythm (about halfway through it), then it was just a matter of being disciplined enough to finish it. I have grown to have a shorter and shorter attention span as I have gotten older. Or maybe I’ve just acknowledged it and now it’s a maniac monster. :troll:

All in all, I endorse the kit. There was more fun to be had than slog. Now to figure out where to hang it because it conveniently has two loops sewn into the top. I’m thinking craft room.

21 Likes

He’s so danged cute! I remember trying latch hook as a kid, but never had the patience to finish the kit. Good for you for sticking with it!

1 Like

I’m so proud of you plugging along and finishing it! It’s quite happy!

1 Like

Very cute! Will make an adorable addition to your craft room, or wherever you hang it. I’ve never truly understood how latch hook works. Are the pieces of yarn tied in place, or do they just stay put because of the yarn all around them?

1 Like

They are tied in place with a simple knot. Actually I’m not sure if it is a knot. The little piece of yarn is bent into a U shape then it goes around the plastic backing inside a little square and wraps around a small bar. The ends of the yarn go around the bar and back through the U shape. Tighten up this… knot… and there you have it!
You can kind of see the illustration on the left side of the box in the photo.

3 Likes

Turned out cute! I also like the backside of it…looks almost like needlepoint! The colors are really fun!

1 Like

This is cute and suits you. I agree with your son, the back is easier to see too.

1 Like

It’s really fun! Good on you for finishing it!

1 Like

Congratulations on finishing this! Pineapples are a symbol of hospitality… and in this case cool times!

1 Like

Thank you all!
@TheMistressT Fun trivia to know about the pineapple!

2 Likes

This is cute and looks like something that would be fun to do while watching TV or hanging out. The design is adorable.

1 Like

Yay, you finished it! good job, and a very cute result.

1 Like

Thank you! I haven’t hung it up yet, it’s being cheery on a corner of the couch.

Latch hook takes so flippin long, you did great!

1 Like

It’s so bright and colorful and cheerful! The glasses remind me of yours! :smile:

1 Like

They are totally like mine! It’s probably a subconscious reason why I purchased it.

1 Like

:mag_right: :eyes: :telescope: :eyeglasses: Well, lookie here! Your cool craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Congratulations! :mag_right: :eyes: :telescope: :eyeglasses:

1 Like

Nice! Thank you!

1 Like

This is such a colorful and happy piece! I too was wondering about how the yarn all stays in place, so thank you for explaining that. Maybe you should turn it into a pillow so it can brighten up your couch full time!

1 Like

I think I would have to attach back fabric by hand, going through all those squares, but it would probably work! I’m not sure I could put straight fiberfill in. It would probably be a pillow cover. I’m adding it to my 50 projects list.

1 Like