Amaya, the Zebra

A few months ago I stumbled upon a trunk show hosted by Shannon Brinkley, creator of the Scrappy Appliqué Method. I fell in love with the technique and made this mini as a trial run, knowing Amaya was going to be my first larger project.

She’s 19” x 23” and made with batiks

A bit of the process …

Trace the pattern

Applique

Cut and paste

Because this is a mini, I used the quilting to hold the pieces down (they have fusible interfacing on them too) If it was a useable quilt, I would have done extra stitching before quilting.

I made this for an IG swap but haven’t decided if I’m parting with her yet. It’s a raffle style swap and we can choose to keep our own creation if there’s nothing else that catches our eye.

27 Likes

Wowowowwww. That is amazing!

1 Like

Stunning!!! The contrast of the rainbow on the white and all those scraps! I wouldn’t be able to part with her.

1 Like

Very nice! It looks a lot more complicated than you describe!

Love the scrappy and the quilting!

1 Like

This is beautiful! That white background is perfect for letting all the rainbow colors shine! I absolutely love the scrappiness of this. I vote that you keep it!

2 Likes

Utterly amazing! Great choice of fabric and contrasting, colorful scraps. So cool!

1 Like

gorgeous! I’m surprised @Magpie isn’t all over this already!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!

@Abbeeroad @AudiobookLover I’m leaning to keeping it, especially since nothing else posted yet has caught my attention.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tag!

This is really special, Cindy. I can see why you’d want to keep it for yourself.

1 Like

This is gorgeous! I can see why it would be hard to give it up!

1 Like

She’s beeeeeaUtiful!

1 Like

:sparkles: :thread: :zebra: Congratulations! Your amazing Amaya the Zebra is a Featured Project this week! :zebra: :thread: :sparkles:

1 Like

It’s so cool!! I love all of the colors :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I have questions. This is so cool! The first one you made as a practice (the amazing cat) looked like the applique was under the white quilting. But this one looks like it is on top. Am I seeing it correctly? Is that what is happening?
I love them both. The colors and transitions are beautiful.

1 Like

They are finished differently …

Since the cat was my first project, I did exactly as the course taught. After making the cat on fusible web, I ironed it on the white background, straight stitched it with invisible thread and outlined with zigzag all before making the quilt sandwich. When I did the white quilting, I skipped going over the cat and just quilted on the white.

I had done a lot more reading on this method by the time I was quilting Amaya and realized I could skip a few steps since it’s a wall quilt. After making her on fusible web, I cut and ironed each piece in its proper place. Then I made the quilt sandwich and used invisible thread to do wavy vertical lines over everything, then added straight horizontal lines across the zebra only.

Hope that makes sense.

4 Likes

Yes. And I can tell that there is a zig zag stitch for the cat now. For some reason, I thought it was under the white and the white part was cut out.
Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

Yes, I see what you mean now.

1 Like

Woooaaah it’s beautiful. I really like the scrappy style but I’d say it certainly doesn’t LOOK scrappy. Its super eye-catching.

1 Like

It’s gorgeous!

1 Like

I’m keeping this … 140 other quilts made for this swap but nothing caught my attention enough to part with mine.

4 Likes