Anyone else doing The Sketchbook Project?

You buy a sketchbook, fill it out however you want (although they have suggested themes for inspiration, if you get stuck), send it back, and it becomes part of the Brooklyn Art Library.

If you sign up for the digitizing option, your sketchbook is scanned and can be viewed by anyone online too.

I got my sketchbook a few months ago, so I’m part of Volume 15 and need to get everything finished and posted by February. Damn you, procrastination!

6 Likes

I’ve never done it, but I toy with the idea of doing it from time to time. I enjoy looking at the sketchbooks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the sketchbooks too, so I was inspired to sign up. May have been a huge mistake, but I’ll get something out to them :smiley:

1 Like

I still have mine from 2012. :open_mouth: I wonder if they’ll still take it if I finish it?

2 Likes

I think they would. The website gives deadline dates for each volume, but says:

“Yes, you can submit a book after the deadline. It will just miss the traveling part.”

I have considered it on a few occasions but know that I never have the time to complete one. (Three kids at home, a new house full of projects, and trying to get my fine art business off the ground) :wink:
I would love to see some of your work though if you wouldn’t mind making a post of some pages for us to ogle.

1 Like

Thank you!! :smiley: I’ll have to come up with an idea for it - my theme was ‘Fill me with stories’.

1 Like

Certainly will!

I"ve done the Sketchbook project two times. Both pretty much finished the week before the deadline to send because I have an inadequate appreciation of how time works apparently :roll_eyes: I was going to do this round but procrastinated on joining…

At that other place we did a sketchbook along which was a ton of fun, maybe that would be something to keep in mind for the next round?
Here’s the link to my previous sketchbooks :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I continue to be fascinated when people remind me about this, but I’ve sent too many sketchbooks & journals away to people who probably threw them away, & I’m pretty sure I’d want to keep it.

1 Like

these go into the library in Brooklyn so theoretically you could visit your sketchbook someday. I actually went to one of the roadshow stops with racky for the first book I did, we got to see all of our groups books as well which was super cool :sunglasses:

The last one I did with my art group who have never done any kind of swap or mail art, some of the members really had a hard time sending their book in.

4 Likes

I have never hear of this, but it sounds really challenging!

Tagging in @geekgirl

1 Like

Oooo I’ve never heard of this

2 Likes

I trust archival art projects, it’s just hard. Maybe if I did the digitizing & then saved a copy of that somewhere.

1 Like

Hello, me :smiley:

2 Likes

This… this would be me. I am more comfortable with selling my work now but things like a sketchbook chronicle time and my life in a way that feels like a diary. I think I would always regret letting that go. Now if I sketched more often and was regularly filling up sketchbooks, that would be a different story.

3 Likes

I read about this years ago when the price of the notebook was a HUGE amount of money to me. Now that I’m in a more comfortable place financially, I’d definitely consider doing this. If anything, it would be a great way to get more of my monsters out in the world. :slight_smile: Thanks for reminding me of the project. I can’t wait to see what you make!

2 Likes

Now that I think of it, I might have this problem too! I think I’d want to keep it! :smiley:

2 Likes

I still have one from several years ago that’s partially done… Maybe some day I’ll finish it and send it in, haha!

3 Likes

I went to browse their digital library. What a rabbit hole. I could spend hours looking.

3 Likes