Apothecary cabinets

I got a 3D printer last October for the express purpose of making miniature furniture. I’ve made a lot of stuff, but only a couple pieces of furniture, so when @Bunny1kenobi posted her gorgeous cabinet at

I knew it was time to try more complex pieces.

My first try; smooth, flat sides, cute arched cubbyholes, and 24 drawers. I printed in plain white, then painted it.

It came out smaller than expected, less than 2" tall, and quite boring before painting…

So I started over, and printed a 30-drawer version. The drawers came out too large, so I had to change and reprint them.

Drawer knobs are beads and jewelry pins; printed in dull gold filament, then painted brown. It’s about 4.5" tall.

But I still had 30 little drawers sitting there! So I made 2 more cabinets, with fancier moldings.

These are about 3" and 4" tall. They have been painted, but don’t have knobs yet, that’s really fiddly. I tried printing knobs, but the stems all broke; have to try again.

BTW, I’ve figured a way to print a test of a single drawer and the section it goes in, so I don’t have to cuss so much.

23 Likes

This is so cool. Now I want a 3D printer.

2 Likes

This is cool and so very well done!

2 Likes

That is way cool!

2 Likes

I love this!! Would you be willing to share your files? You did such an amazing job!!!

2 Likes

OMG that looks amazing! I am in love with this project, can’t wait to see what you end up doing with it!

1 Like

Sure! Which ones do you want?

1 Like

WOWEE! They’re all so cool and I loved reading about your journey with them.

What a cool way to test and YES, save the cussing for fun stuff!

1 Like

Oooh… like all of ‘em! So, basically whatever you feel like sharing! :grin: I’ll message you my email. Thank you!!

1 Like

Sent you the files for the second largest one, my favorite. Knobs not included.

Thank you for the inspiration!

1 Like

This is really cool.

2 Likes

Thank you!!! :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Amazing!!!

1 Like

This is very kewl!! How long does it take to print ?

What program are you using to design your files?

My son has a 3D printer that he and friends use to print up pieces for their board games. They’ve also printed out my felting tools for me. We finally got those refined! I’d like to learn to make variations of my tools, but don’t even know where to start. :wink:

3 Likes

@Harlan I’m so pleased you got those new tools you wanted! Very cool. My coworker has a 3D printer & made replacement knows for our dryer that saved us $100! Such amazing tools, I’m tempted…

3 Likes

I’m using Tinkercad.com It’s free and online, so you can use any computer. It’s great for geometric shapes, and you can import some organic shapes, but I want to learn Blender, too.

I think the original file (case plus drawers) took 8 or 10 hours to print at 20% grid fill; it’s a lot of fiddly little pieces.

I printed a 3-needle handle for felting; that file (and probably other felting tools) is available free on thingiverse.com.

Thanks for the info!! I love things with lots of drawers!! Of course my tastes tends to run to the full size versions which are a hundred years old and unattainable! :slight_smile:

Took a look at what felting tools were available on Thingiverse and (sorry to say), I’m not impressed. Very much like the tools that are commercially available which are also pretty dreadful.
My felting tools provide a lot more control/precision AND they are shaped like sheep! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I want to see!

SM tools

A “set” of my tools includes a herd of 4 sheep. My own herd is larger, but I’ve got numerous twins, triplets.

3 Likes

Cute! Are they all needle handles, or some other tools?

1 Like