Apple Dutch Baby

I’ve been on the hunt of a recipe that my exes family used to make, and got this idea from a friend in another craft group. So I read through a lot of recipes and got the feel for it, then it struck me it’s just a crepe recipe, heh. A crepe poof, if you will.

My version:

At room temperature
1/2 c. Milk
1/2 c. Buttermilk
4 eggs

Blend smooth, then add the following ingredients after sifting together slowly.

1 c. Flour
1 Tbls. Sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt

Pour in a pan over a mixture of the following ingredients. (If you’d like, bake the apple mixture for four to five minutes before pouring the flour mixture over it).

2 medium apples sliced.
1/3 c. melted butter
1/4 c. Brown sugar

Bake at 425 degrees for 24 minutes.

One thing I just thought of and I might want to attempt, with my pains getting so bad, I really am going to have to give up making pies. However, this might give me a few more years of pie making, :smile: .

Replace 1 or two eggs with melted butter (Maybe the milk or buttermilk, too). Remove the baking powder. Split the mixture in two parts. The first part, pour into a pie pan, and place the fruit mixture on top of it. Freeze (long enough to keep the fruit from floating). Then pour the other half over it, and freeze once more. Then bake at 350 for 35 or 45 minutes (maybe a little longer for it being frozen).

I’ll probably have to play around with it, but I think I can pull this off…:smiley:.

10 Likes

Mmmmm
We were walking through a strange city and smelled something delightful. Turned out to be Pannekoeken, Dutch babies. The restaurant did both sweet and savory versions.
Thanks for bringing back such a nice memory!

3 Likes

Savory Dutch Baby Recipe | Bon Appétit Whoa! I never would have thought of that. I’ll have to look into more recipes like this and see what I can come up with. I’ve got some veggies, bacon, and eggs…Sounds gooooooood…

2 Likes

This looks yummy… thanks for sharing!

And I made a savory one. Wow! Wife isn’t too keen on it, but I like it, heh.

Added a little ginger, paprika, and nutmeg to give it just enough flavor. The only downsides I spotted right away, I should have baked the tomatoes directly into it (and used fresh instead of canned), and way too much meat. But meh, still good.

Recipe for this one: (Modified for what should be a better version than this one).

1 medium or two small tomatoes cubed. (Or about half a cup of cherry tomatoes, or similar halved).

Blend til smooth, add salt and pepper.

1/2 c. Flour
1/2 c. Milk
2 eggs

Fry together in an 8 inch or 10 inch cast iron skillet, and salt and pepper to taste

1/4 c. Hamburger
1 strip of bacon diced.
Small onion chopped thin, or 1 or 2 Tbls. chopped chives/green onion.
1 clove of garlic
A dash or two of ginger and paprika
A dash of nutmeg.

Remove from skillet, then melt 1 tablespoon of butter into the skillet and place on medium heat for about 1 minute. Pour flour mixture into skillet and top with tomatoes. Bake at 425 degrees for 18 minutes. Sprinkle with meat and cheese. Bake for another 4 minutes. Serve immediately.

1 Like

Thank you SO much for the recipe! I love apples so this is right up my alley. I might even try a savory one too

Looks yummy! I have to try the apple version.

Looks de-lish! I love the idea of a savory version, too.

Anything that can make cooking easy and delicious is fine by me!

I like the apple one…and it is apple time! I wonder if there is a pumpkin version?

Hmm! I bet it’d be pretty easy to do. It’s basically a custard as is. The temperatures would have to change…Or would they? If it’s a thin pie filling,…Hmmm! I may have to use one of my sweet potatoes…I’m very curious now. I’ll try this out tomorrow or Thursday…

1+1/2 c. pumpkin/sweet potato pie filling
Following the breading recipe for the Applie pie dutch baby, replacing the buttermilk with milk.

Place a 10 inch skillet on stove top for about a minute or two with a tablespoon of butter (Get it real hot). Remove it from heat, then steadily pour the flour mixture into it. Then in a swirling motion pour the pumpkin/sweet potato pie filling into it. Swirling from the inside out.

Bake at 425 for 18 to 24 minutes.

O_o…I’ll have to try that. Shut up stomach.

1 Like

Looks yummy! My go to is a savoury version with some whole weat flour and grated carrots or other root veggies in the ”pancake” mixture. Everything else depends on mood and what’sin the fridge… I make a batch and then freeze for lunches.

I’ve done carrots + chopped ginger in the mixture.
Carrots + chopped black kale stems + chopped fried bacon… If I do a veggie version I like to season with smoked paprika.

Always served with lingonberry jam, because that’s how we roll in Sweden.

I’m intrigued by your pumpkin idea,.,

2 Likes

This is an applesauce & mascarpone custard dutch baby.

Changes: all milk, no buttermilk. 1 less egg and two tablespoons melted butter.

The custard, 3 eggs, 8 oz. mascarpone, 1/2 c. milk. 1 tsp. vanilla. Probably a little more than 1 c. Applesauce.

In hindsight, I should have cut out the milk and one egg, oh well.

Edit:

Maybe, just maybe I’ll find out what it’s like chilled. Oof! It’s really good hot. Oh my word it’s gooooood!