Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

I love seeing everyone’s pages taking shape (no pun intended) through this series. Getting started with a blank white surface (whether in art or writing) is often the hardest part, so I appreciate all these accessible ways she’s sharing to get the surface covered or “initiated”.

It makes me think there should be a random generator of techniques, colors, shapes, tools, media, etc., to inspire those who don’t know how they/we want to start a page. Does anyone know if this exists yet online? The craftier version would be to create idea dice, or idea jars, with a different one for each category.

I did a quick search and didn’t see this exact thing I’m thinking of, but found these useful ideas to pull from:

3 Likes

I actually really like that one. There is a lot going on, but I think the dot-shapes create enough of a focal point to keep it from being overwhelming.

1 Like

Those are really cool calluna! A blank page is so intimidating sometimes. Even some days with a prompt and video I struggle. The art dice are particularly cool!

Thanks @megwell. It makes me think of the Futurama movie “beast with a billion backs” every time I see it. Think tentacles emerging from a rip in the universe. :laughing:

3 Likes

They are really cool… I’m looking forward to having a go at some of them. Once a million boxes are moved and unpacked

1 Like

I painted over my shape as a focal point spread and re-did it today. The shape as a focal point prompt wasn’t working for me so I tried to mimic the empty space prompt but in reverse.

7 Likes

Oh, that is gorgeous! I love those colours together, my goodness.

What sort of mediums are y’all using for colour? And for paper? I might need a trip to the craft store to pick something up. To get that saturation with the things I currently use would result in soggy paper, I’m not sure at all how to get there but I want to start those videos and catch up this weekend if I can.

I myself have been using a mixed media journal book I got at Michael’s with acrylic paints and pens. I have other medium I can also use, but for this I’m trying to use up my paints. They are getting old and I want to replace them.

That said, I am working on catching up with the prompts right now. Just vac’d the floor while waiting for paint to dry. (so many ladybugs ew)

1 Like

What sort of pens? Like any and everything you happen to have? I am still looking for a good white pen to go over top of stamps, paint, etc and not clog up the very first time it gets used. I have SO many of those already. sad.

I have Posca paint pens. I still have also to find a white that works properly. Every time I try to go over something I painted (and let dry) with a white pen, it won’t mark it. I’ve tried gell pens and sharpie too with no luck. ugh.

1 Like

That’s pretty much what I’m using too.

Canson mixed media journal. Acrylic craft paints. Gesso. Black and white water based sharpie paint pens. I have a set of posca pens but I’m “saving them.” (I know!)

All from Michaels.

2 Likes

I think on our last zoom someone mentioned uniball has the best white pen. @geekgirl - that was you, right?

1 Like

Well darn. I’ve ruined both posca & uniball. I did use a white coloured pencil the other day that was terrific. It’s not the same solid crisp line though.

Okay, I’m now caught up. Skipping the ‘crunch it’ one because my paper is too thick for that and I want to keep everything in one journal for this class.

I did my Splatter on the One Color.

Embrace empty space

Connect the dots

Rip and Redefine

6 Likes

Yes, this works much better. Lovely use of light/dark space and xolors.

2 Likes

$100 later & I’m all set up with papers & paint (& beads & blank card sets & hoops, haha).

4 Likes

I love your empty space!!

1 Like

Today was re-do day for me I guess, lol. I also redid the right hand spread of my black and white page. I had already painted over it once before, but still wasn’t happy with it. I think I’ve made peace.

9 Likes

I finally got around to the swiping one. The black side is with cereal box cardboard, and the pink/blue/green is with corrugated.

I also took a shot at the paint out shapes exercise over my lots of color page, but you can’t really tell. I used that crap gesso as white paint, and it just smeared the markers/highlighters I’d used in the original :woman_facepalming:t2:. It’s kind of effective, I guess. I haven’t taken a picture yet because I may still try again with actual paint.

7 Likes

That looks great Abbee, the mark making in black and white is intense contrast. I like it a lot.

Meg, we haven’t seen the swiping one yet, we’ll have to catch up a bit more this week.

The girl and I painted side-by-side, hers are the 3 on the right and the note book spread that looks like peacock feathers and a choppy rainbow, the rest are mine. We used acrylic and water colour applied in willy-nilly combinations.

She’s put more thought and care into hers and you can see her distinctive style emerging. Because I’ve done so many masterboards, mine are a hot mess. I know they will be layered over until the base is fairly indistinguishable so I just slapped that colour on there.

9 Likes

Great swipes @megwell! I love that you didn’t fill the space so your swipes are clearly distinguished.

Yay @Magpie!!! LOVE that you are doing this with your girl. I tried to get my son to do a journal with me but he’s only peripherally interested lol. Sometimes I get a daughter or two involved but they do their own thing at this age. Not a bad thing! Can’t wait to see more from you both.

I did one color today (at least 2 days behind). Starting to worry that they are all looking the same now. :see_no_evil:

7 Likes