Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

I ordered one also. Like I need another blank journal…

2 Likes

Same :sweat_smile: But at least you can feel good about supporting makers instead of corporations? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

At work we have a machine that binds books like that so I picked up this really neat volume from the thrift store for 2 bucks.

Some of the inside pages are beautiful!

But I’ve decided not to cut it up, it’s bound so nicely. I’ll just gesso some pages.
Maybe cracking the spine could help it lay more flat. If that caused a few pages to fall out that just makes more room, right?

5 Likes

That is a great find!

Your journal is beautiful @Serenity, the hand doodle is so intricate!

That is such a cool book @Magpie - that’s going to be a fabulous project!

1 Like

Gonna have to meet up with @Serenity to do some journalling!

2 Likes

I love your journal pages!
Great mix of techniques.

2 Likes

ooh everyone has been busy!

@AIMR I bought a set of the magical powders after the zoom play date. I haven’t cracked them open yet, but I am excited to do so. I have been taking a bit of an art break this week to play video games in my spare time instead, but I am starting to get the urge and will be using them for sure!

The other pages that came out of the play date are so nice! I really disliked mine so … that one might be painted over in the end :smiley: @calluna your looks like ye olde timey rendition of the constellations or something. I don’t know how you managed it, but I love it! All of them came out really good, and it was really nice seeing everyone. Props to your pages, @photojenn @Edel @geekgirl @AIMR and @jemimah – hope I didn’t miss anyone!

I have an itch to make some journals out of the children’s Golden Book series. I saw on Ebay that people sell them in lots, but I have no interest in any of the Disney titles. I am sort of weighing my options right now on what to do as there is no choice in titles.

Anyway, here is a page I made in a smaller journal I have about 6 or so weeks ago. I had never tried a mandala before, so used the excuse of coffee stains on the page to be the center. Of course, the stains are totally lost with the rest of it.

Background is an aerial view of a river in MO if I recall from the NatGeo I cut it from. The rest is just gel pens, microns, and colored pencil

11 Likes

Your doodles with the hands are fantastic.

1 Like

Waving to you @photojenn …driving through Chicago on the way to Colorado…hi!!!

2 Likes

Hi Linda :wave: Looks like perfect driving weather! Enjoy the drive (after you get out of Chicago traffic)!

Right after I sent that our tire blew out…two young men stopped and changed it…we are on the way to get s new tire

2 Likes

These sound exciting, what are they?

From here: powdered pigments | Lindy's Gang Store They are water reactive. I still haven’t played with them yet to give more info than that :smiley:

1 Like

They look like I need to investigate more before whimsically buying !!!

2 Likes

Oooh @AIMR I hope you guys got back on the road ok

Just watched the first 2 lessons from Aworkofheart/Andrea Chebeleu* and they are fun. I’m thinking that in the next round of swaps, I’ll propose mixed media prompt cards. She’s choosing 5 and running thru the prompts, then she reshuffles the 5 cards and does the prompts again on the same paper - similar to the master board tutorials that have been shared.

Off to make a small mess before bed.

*This is a free class - 5 videos for 5 days. Here’s the link (can’t remember if I shared this already)

5 Likes

You can share this in the Masterboard Swap too. :slightly_smiling_face:

I started watching the videos and she uses “matte medium” the same way I use Mod Podge… is matte Mod Podge the same/similar enough? Or am I missing out by not having what she has? :thinking:

I think they are similar. I find Mod Podge too watery. Gel medium is the base for acrylic paint, I think.

1 Like

I don’t like mod podge much either. I use Aleen’s Collage Pauge

2 Likes