Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

and I do love it! It’s perfect for me! Thank you again so much. :slight_smile:

I want to do an art quilt of this. It’s beautiful!

3 Likes

I would love to see that!

Ok I’m very confused (what’s new?!) Where is the thread that has the info on the video we’re doing later. I want to know what supplies I need

Hey! Plans changed again and I can join! Yay!

1 Like

It’s in this thread. Scroll up a few posts. :slightly_smiling_face:

Here you go @Edel

1 Like

Yay! I’ll send you the zoom link

1 Like

So this was my effort from today’s zoom.

Acrylics, uni signo and posca pens, gold leaf.

11 Likes

Edel that looks great. I love how the gold leaf looks like the galaxy is ripping apart.

Here is the other blending video from the same woman. It’s only 10 min and she doesn’t talk much but I think it’s more obvious what she’s doing and since it’s abstract there’s no pressure to make it look a certain way

6 Likes

Great, thanks for that link. I like the effects that she gets, so I’ll be interested in watching that one

I will try that one! Here’s my output from today’s efforts:

Not quite the example but still really fun! Thanks for the art time guys. Felt good. :heart:

8 Likes

I really like how you have a definite centre in yours. And really good contrast between the lights and darks

1 Like

You’re too kind, LOL! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I think the gold leaf addition to yours really gives it a Milky Way feel!

Mine went from what I assumed was absolute garbage, to something I’m now pretty happy with!

(I was painting over a collage on not-good paper, so it’s curled up)
I added more layers on what wasn’t working for me, and switched from makeup brush to finger-smudging the paint. I couldn’t find my tiniest paintbrush, so instead of painting white squiggly lines for cloud effects I drew them with a white gel pen and then blended them out with water on a small flat paintbrush. The circles were done in the same way. I couldn’t get the hang of the larger silhouetted circles from the video, but maybe that’s where using a cat whisker as a paintbrush would be handy.
Adding splatters of black acrylic ink, then spraying them with water so the black spread out, helped me start seeing it as a dimensional scene, rather than the mess of muddy blobs I started with. And, of course, plenty white splatters, and more dots with black and white pens. @photojenn and @Edel had brought metallic paints, and when I tried the same it also made me happier. The magenta color is Dylusions Shimmer Spray, painted on, and it has a way of bleeding into any other light color it can touch, which was actually good in this case.
I want to try using a reference photo next time, with bigger, sturdier, heavier paper, some color-changing mica powder, and a sealant/varnish to make the black and color pop.

7 Likes

That looks fab!

They are so great! The darkness contrasts your color nicely without being overpowering. I struggled with that. And your bubbles are so dimensional - even your splatters seem controlled there to add to the galaxy effect. Lovely!

Woah these are all amazing! I’m going to have to try this technique.

Glorious golden light into a dark corner of the universe…lovely! My first thought was the big tear In Matt Smith’s Doctor Who–without it being a direct lift from what was in the show. I know we were all in galaxy mode, but I’m also thinking the way you applied the gold leaf would be awesome in a painting that mimics satellite geographic imagery.

We were talking with @jemimah about her teaching how to do this with watercolor next month! If you do try the video, know that we were all struggling and confounded much of the time, so don’t give up or feel bad if your results don’t match what’s happening in the video. :wink:

4 Likes