Art Journaling Craftalong - 2021

In yours I’m seeing a view of Earth from the far side of an encroaching asteroid belt!

1 Like

Hahaha! I thought this, too, but a la Futurama. I thought the reference was too obscure. :laughing:

1 Like

I LOL’d because the message preview (in my gmail) looked like this " I’ve got garlic in my soul via the Lettuce Craft Forums"

1 Like

@Abbeeroad it looks good. I like all the green and your bubbles look look like they are in a hazy stream.

@calluna I love the dark moodiness of yours. looks like you’re in the middle of an astroid belt

Here is mine. I definitely want to do this again. Or maybe I’ll redo the video I posted yesterday.

7 Likes

You got some definite cloud effects going on. I just couldn’t achieve that!

1 Like

toward the end of the video I saw her use a sponge so that inspired me to grab a makeup sponge and tear it in half and start dabbing rather than painting. That made me much happier.

1 Like

I don’t know if it shows that well but while on a zoom call this evening I added some detail in white and black pen

Uploading: 2031F8AB-0DA5-43E9-A3DD-9C888941D96B.jpeg…

I don’t know if it shows that well but while on a zoom call this evening I added some detail in white and black pen

7 Likes

It was SO GOOD for my soul to spend some time painting with you beautiful people :sparkling_heart:

I love what you’ve all done with the inspiration video - even though it wasn’t the easiest to follow, it sent us in lots of fun directions!

Here’s mine -

I tried a brush and a makeup sponge, but mostly used my fingers :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: very therapeutic on a wet Monday morning.

10 Likes

I like the additions @calluna it looks great.

@geekgirl the extra white makes it pop.

@jemimah you got closest to the colours she did in the video, it looks great, really spacey (you just need a wee UFO in there :wink:)

1 Like

Love the white dots @geekgirl! I might steal that idea…

Oh @jemimah - it’s out of this world cool!

1 Like

I haven’t had a lot of Lettuce time for a while - I’ve just been enjoying going back through this thread again :grinning: I know it’s been several weeks since some of these were posted, but I just wanted to say how much inspiration I get from this group.

@Smmarrt that little coffee-coloured book is fantastic! It looks wonderfully tactile. The little starry figures are brilliant! Thanks for the prompts, I’m going to try working on these :sparkles: :night_with_stars:

@calluna the reclaimed book journal is so marvellous - the colours and textures are amazing! And your space piece turned out fabulous! The depth you achieve with all your layers always amazes me.

@megwell your collage pieces always delight me! The clean underwear one is brilliant :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

@photojenn that leafy page makes me feel calmer just looking at it - beautiful! I really like all the different shades of green you got. (Also, I’m sorry I still haven’t found my old notes about good composition tips - I think we talked about that ages ago. I haven’t given up looking though!)

@geekgirl I love all the layering and detail in your pieces! The contrast and detail in eye one is so effective. And the star light one is gorgeous! You space piece is great - I think the final addition of high-contrast black and white detail really took it to the next level. It would make a super cool fabric print!

@Edel the rich depth of colour in your space piece is so impressive. It works perfectly with the gold leaf - an inspired move!

@Abbeeroad the colours in your piece are so pretty - love the smudgy, hazy effect! It has a wonderful sense of movement too.

5 Likes

I finally took a picture of mine this morning after it sat in timeout for a few days lol. There are some parts of it I like (left hand side) but couldn’t figure out how to get rid of the giant black on the right after I accidentally used too much paint. I think next time having a reference photo for something like this would help me a lot.

I’d definitely be up for doing the other page again or another zoom where we work on blending.

5 Likes

I love the colours in this @photojenn - especially the soft greens and blues! And the bit in the centre where you’ve created a focal point with more detail and colour contrast really draws my eye.

That’s a good point about having a reference - I’d also be up for doing something like this again with a reference to work with.

1 Like

@edel I really love the addition of the gold leaf to this piece and using a white pen is genius

@Abbeeroad I love all of your white bubbles, the positioning and size fits perfectly with the piece

@calluna I’m kind of obsessed with yours. The depth you cerated with the contrast of the stark middle with the softer bubbles on the outside is really drawing me in.

@geekgirl I love the pinks and greens next to each other and am especially drawn to what’s going on in the top right corner. The softness you achieved with your blending is great. I also really like the addition of the white pen, it adds a ton of movement throughout the piece.

@jemimah I’m not sure what else to say other than :heart_eyes:. This is super impressive! The layering of colors and amount of depth you achieved is amazing. Really, well done!

3 Likes

aww I missed it! Looks like some beautiful pages got done!

1 Like

ENABLER ALERT - AGAIN

If you’re not doing anything on New Year’s Eve - a 22-hour marathon of Zoom classes for $22.

Kiala Givehand – Life Alchemist • Creativity • Spiritual Empowerment

Artsy Meetup Marathon

A 22 hour virtual creative marathon hosted by Kiala Givehand. Features 22+ guest artists, tutorials, and more.

It’s a maybe for me…

2 Likes

And there are 2 journal-making videos available when you sign up.

I didn’t really participate in the Meg Journals/My Green Cow 12 Days of Journaling challenge on YouTube, but I couldn’t resist the “Christmas playlist” prompt for my go-to holiday jams. I expanded it into a watchlist as well…

This is in my Nancy Drew Ex Libris journal.

4 Likes