ASL ABC blanket

Update:
I was looking at photos of my blanket, and I realized you can see the ends I hadn’t woven in yet, the picture is dark, and it’s a little bit blurry. So I pulled out the blanket, washed it, and had my dad take new photos for me. It’s so much brighter and easier to see now!

Since I took the time to get new photos, I decided to look at my original pattern. I decided it needed a face lift. If you downloaded this pattern on Ravelry before, you don’t have to download it again. The new version includes a cover photo, a change to the layout of the instructions, and the charts have better markings for row and column counts. The charts are also easier to read, but the pattern itself has not changed.

Back in 2013, I created this blanket entirely from scratch. It took me eight full weeks of designing each square and crocheting them one by one to complete it. It ended up getting second place overall in the Palouse County Fair that year.

I saw @Bajita mention she wants to learn ASL, and it reminded me that I never shared this blanket on Lettuce Craft.

I am hard of hearing. I took two years of ASL in high school, and then ASL 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and Deaf Culture studies in community college.

Here is a close up of the top few rows in a progress shot.

You can download the pattern for free here.

26 Likes

WOW! This is stunning!

2 Likes

Amazing! Certainly deserving of a prize. So, so cool!

2 Likes

Scene-the couch Sunday evening.
Me-hey. Check this out (hands over phone with picture)
Him-wow, that’s pretty cool
Me-that’s crochet
Him-OK, that’s (swear word)ing insanely cool.

6 Likes

That is epic :exploding_head:.

2 Likes

I remember seeing this on C-ster. It’s so awesome! Thanks for reminding us about it. A labor of love like this deserves to win !

3 Likes

I remember this! Who could forget such an excellent creation? And your incredibly generous pattern sharing. Amazing.

Also, what miracle craft was better than this to win first place?!

4 Likes

A tablecloth won first overall in the fair. It was a pretty pineapple pattern, it looked nice, but I think it mostly won because nepotism runs rampant in that area. It’s ok. It was a winner in my book :grin:

5 Likes

What a wonderful blanket, lovely skills! I really mike all the colours used. And nepotism sucks, but what can you do? Just continue make wonderful projects

3 Likes

WOW, WOW, WOW, etc, etc
This is amazing!!!

It brought tears to my eyes, ASL has always been of interest to me, I took a couple courses in college but never went farther with it. I love watching people use it and can still understand a bit. I also crochet and know the amount of work this took to both design and make.

3 Likes

This is soooo coool😲
In my family most of us had to learn sign because every fifth person that I know is deaf including one of my brothers.
(not ASL but EVK)

3 Likes

Amazing!!

2 Likes

This is insanely amazing. Not only how clear it is, but just figuring out the color combos! It is wonderful. You were robbed. This is a first-place kind of craft. :wink:

2 Likes

I looked up EVK. So it’s Estonian sign? Do you know how similar it is to ASL? Or French sign (I know ASL is based heavily on French Sign Language)?

I can still follow a simple conversation in ASL, but I have forgotten a lot. I don’t live near any of my deaf friends anymore to chat with. My hearing is only getting worse, so I should brush up on my signing skills and teach my hubby :blush:

4 Likes

This is all kinds of awesome!

1 Like

Yes it’s Estonian sl but even the alphabet is different from ASL(not familiar with French sign tough) . It would be great if at least that would be the same.

2 Likes

What a gorgeous labor of love and it looks so cozy too!

1 Like

@storerboughtcreation
Wow, amazing!
I think i might have to try this ! Tysvm for sharing this !I have a deaf brother, so i can sign too.

1 Like

I got a new picture of my ASL blanket yesterday, and I updated the old charts today. More info in the above edited post :slight_smile:

2 Likes