ATC size envelopes using Martha Stuart's score board - Tutorial & Review (pic heavy cause that's how I roll)

If this helps even one person then it’s worth it :slight_smile:

I got this years ago as a gift. I don’t know if it’s still being made but I think I’ve seen similar items in the craft store. I believe it came with instructions to make boxes but I only use it for envelopes :upside_down_face: It’s a little big but flat so I don’t have a problem storing it. You can even store the bone folder and triangle guide with it without them falling off so that’s nice.

OK, so here’s how I mainly use it! ATC envelopes :tada:

First start with a 5.5" square (I cut mine from junk mail, magazines, old books, calendars…)

This scoreboard came with a triangle guide:

Decide which way is “up” for your envelope and lay it down with “up” pointing up and score on the 2" line:

Turn your paper 90 degrees so that “up” is pointing to the left and score on the 2.5" line:

Turn again so “up” is pointing down and score another 2" line. Then turn again so that “up” is pointing to the right and score on the 2.5" line again. I also score at the 1" line:

Then cut off the triangles that form from the creases crossing and the bottom 1" triangle. You will be left with this shape:

If I remember correctly the instructions that came with this did not have you cut anything off, but just had you fold on the creased lines… that is dumb :stuck_out_tongue: ignore that and cut off the excess! You will have a nicer, flatter, envelope :innocent:

Now it’s time for folding! Fold the bottom up and the sides in (I also fold the top down before adding sticky stuff just to make sure it’s all nice):

Then I apply sticky stuff to the bottom edge of the side flaps. I use an adhesive roller but you can use glue stick too. Pictures of exactly where I add the sticky (it doesn’t take much, for these little envelopes I often add less):

Close the side flaps over the bottom and that’s it! Hooray! :partying_face:

Now you can smoosh all your little envelopes together into one mass of envelopes like I do! :nerd_face:

This method gives you an angled picture on the front of the envelope. You could probably do without the score board but it is handy! The guide also has measurements for bigger envelopes. I don’t love the scoreboard but it’s become my go-to since I have it. I think there are other methods out there that might use less paper and/or angle the image differently, but this is how I do it.

Feel free to ask questions or send me a message if you want to skip making your own and just have me send you some of mine :wink: Seriously! I don’t think I’ll ever use them up as fast as I make them :sweat_smile:

17 Likes

Super cute! I have a We R Memory Keepers punch board, which takes a lot of the brain power out of it :wink:
It’s a great thing to do when you want to be creative, but also don’t want to think :stuck_out_tongue:

I love your huge stash of them!

3 Likes

Yes!!! And portable :wink: I have so many because I can make them in almost any room that my kid wants to be in :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I bought that tool back in the cster days just for making envelops! But I never figured it out. Thank you for the tutorial, it sure helped me :kissing_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

I have that one and several other We R Memory keeper punch boards. Definitely makes it easy!

2 Likes

Awesome!!! Thank you so much for sharing! I’m going to make some! Woot!

1 Like

What a fun idea for sending ATCs! I have a different brand of score board, and it didn’t come with that cool triangle piece, so I bought the envelope version, too. I just came across it 2 days ago, and I see my own stack of mini envies in my future! Thanks for sharing the measurements- now I don’t have to work it out.

1 Like

I bought that one because you had talked about it. I thought I wouldn’t use it too much but I’ve loved having it!

I will admit that it took me far too long to figure it out. :roll_eyes: the process wasn’t clicking, but now I’m an envelope making machine!

2 Likes

runs to store to get a score board

1 Like

right behind you! lol

I have so many magazines and calendar pages that are screaming at me to be used!

2 Likes

I have the same scoring board and it’s one of my “really good buys”. I score paper for cards, for matchbox boxes, for envelopes, for my folding masters for my masks, for fan embellishments. I use it quite often. This and my Fiskars 12" paper cutter are my workhorse tools. Glad I bought them. I think I purchased both with a big discount coupon at Joann’s or one of the craft stores that went out of business.

2 Likes

I’m bookmarking this. Very cool. Thank you!

2 Likes

I have this scoreboard and while I seldom use it, when I do it’s just the right tool for the job. Thanks for the envelope tute! I’ve never used it for that, but maybe I will now!

1 Like

You could start with an angled cut picture. Use a 5.5 inch square as a guide and trim the paper at 45 degree angles. then the envelope wouldn’t be diagonal. But it would waste more paper in the long run.

1 Like

more scraps for making paper mosaics…lol

3 Likes

I also just located a scoring board online. I want one so bad after reading your post. Very cool - thank you so much for sharing. I’m new to card making and can see how this tool would be very useful.

1 Like

I’ve seen the scoring boards in 2 sizes. I have the larger one, which holds a 12 X 12" sheet. But, if you get a smaller one, you can always flip the paper around to score different areas which could make it less expensive to purchase. I’ve had mine for a while, so I have no idea what the cost difference is. It’s definitely handy, especially when making multiples of something, or scoring multiple lines on one sheet.

3 Likes