Backdrop Stand/Frame Sandbag Weights

Digging out the old backdrop stand/frame for a new backdrop reminded me that it could be more stable and especially using it for the new backdrop which is a different environment than the one I made the stand for.

Simple sandbags seemed like an easy and portable option. It’s also an option that didn’t require buying anything. YEY STASH!

I have an abundance of this camo canvas material so using that seemed like a no brainer. And thanks to a “converstation” with @SillySlippers in her topic about a cool camo handbag I decided to use the backside of the material to they would be more subtle and not as likely to distract from whatever I mount on the stand. The “bags” are about 21" long and 4" wide. I weighed them after the fact and they’re each about 5.25 pounds.

Because they are only mostly filled with sand, they wrap easily around the upright to weigh down feet.

BackdropFrameWeights06

11 Likes

Cool.
I didn’t notice who posted this until I saw the bedspread. You know, walmart has a black and white version of that fabric. I think of you every time I see it.

1 Like

Excellent use!
You could use these to construct and pose a “victim” at Halloween or for winter driving to keep your vehicle from sliding.

1 Like

Thanks, y’all!

@steiconi Ha! Mine is from Ikea, so I guess the Scandinavian home furnishing Walmart.

One of those bags of “tube sand” is where I got the sand for these, actually!

3 Likes

Nice!!! And I’m sure you’ll find other uses for those sandbags from time to time.

2 Likes

Problem solving level 10 achieved! So smart.

Ha! @steiconi - I have that black and white fabric from Walmart! I backed a pillow cover with it, but have plenty left. :laughing:

3 Likes

Clever and handy. My man wanted sand bags for some yoga thing but in a true shoe makers wife scenario, he had to buy a set, lol. Good for you for always making just what you need, whatever it may be.

1 Like

Thanks so much, everyone!

@Bunny1kenobi I probably will! I will probably have use for this stand now and again as well, even.

@Abbeeroad Now I’m really curious about this print!

@Magpie Oh, I imagine if I’d have had to buy one of the materials for this, I may have just tried to find something premade myself.

2 Likes

Well done!

1 Like

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Emma-Mila-Wood-8-Yard-Cotton-Fabric-By-The-Bolt/889623587?from=/search

price is for 8 yard bolt, it’s sometimes available by the yard in store.

2 Likes

Yep - I bought a yard in-store.

Here’s the project I made with it!

3 Likes

Clever idea! You are such a “problem solver”…I love that you used the back of the fabric to make it more subtle! Blends with whatever you might put on your frames!

2 Likes

Thanks @steiconi and @Abbeeroad for sharing. That print is CUTE. I can see it coordinating nicely with the one on my duvet. I think the Ikea one is an actual photograph of a styled stack of “firewood” rounds and based on our own stacks of firewood I would say it’s life-sized.

GuestDuvetFabric

2 Likes