CLOSED - Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2022

@Abbeeroad Thank you!

I just realized I have another submission to make.

Class: Apparition
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Toilet Tabs
Project Description: I used THIS RECIPE to make some fizzing toilet cleaning tablets. I made about twice this much, but the others are in 2 other containers in other bathrooms already. The only hitch I ran into was that I made a batch and then extended it to fill my second mould and I think I got a little more vinegar into that batch because some of the tabs expanded overnight. They still work great, though. I got really inspired by my success and ordered some washing soda for a dishwasher tablet recipe I want to try!
Project Pic:

7 Likes

Thanks for all the behind the scenes work you’ve put in, MJ, I hope Ada is settling into a routine for you!

Class: Detention- Reparo
House: Slytherin
Project: mending
Description and pic: Kids outgrow clothes pretty quickly but are hard on them, too. I’m trying to make some favorite leggings go the distance while learning a new skill. These pants now have 2 spots of visible mending. This assignment is this one:

I’m really new to the skill so these are now strictly “play clothes” and hopefully I’ll get good enough to mend “be seen in public and not look like a ragamuffin who mended her own clothes at 3 years old” in due time.

6 Likes

Let’s see if I remember how to do this, it’s been a minute…

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Bag of Bags
Brief Description: It was beyond time to replace my plastic grocery bag holder, which is container of containers. I used random dimensions off the internet for the fabric piece then winged the rest of it - it’s much shorter and fatter than the last one, but does the job!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
Project Name & Page Link: Valkyrie Coloring Page
Brief Description: I am trying hard to use up my first set of alcohol markers before I invest in one of the refillable sets, and I was able to finish off two yellow markers while making this page.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

Perfect! Like riding a bike! :smile:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Study of Ancient Runes
Project Name & Page Link: Big Blue Wibbly Wobbly Knitting Bag
Brief Description: I needed a day to just unwind and craft, so I whipped this up - I also needed it done before the rest of my yarn arrives.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Class Title: Astronomy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: “Z” pillow cover - tutorial
Brief Description: This pillow cover was made for my cousin’s wedding shower this past weekend. It features the first letter of her soon to be last name on the front and wood-slice fabric on the back (her fiancé is in the logging business).
Project Pictures:

Class Title: Book Club: Chapter 19
Project Name & Page Link: Luci Disenchantment Hoop
Brief Description: I made this for a personal Disenchantment swap. When a personal demon is the subject of your stitching, of course it’s all black!
Project Picture:

Class Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Scrappy Headdresses
Brief Description: These fun head pieces feature long, dangly components.
Project Picture:

Class Title: Study of Ancient Runes
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Bean ATC
Brief Description: After I made the Luci hoop for a personal Disenchantment swap, I knew I wanted to add a little something. I sat down and made this ATC of Princess Tiabeanie from the show in one session. I love how it came out and smile every time I see it!
Project Picture:

8 Likes

Class/Challenge: Apparition
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Cashew Chicken
Brief Description: For Apparition, I cooked one of my favorite dishes, cashew chicken, using this recipe. This time I cut up a fresh chicken breast, but I usually used precooked chicken (breasts that I’ve cut into bite sized pieces, cooked with salt & pepper, and frozen for later). When I do that, I dump in the thawed chicken after the cashews & peppers have cooked for a minute or so.
It’s usually served with white rice (made with chicken broth if I have some I need to use) and roasted veggies (broccoli & carrots tossed in olive oil with salt & pepper and baked at 400°F for 20-30 min).
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Herbology
Project Name: Mini Cthulhu
Brief Description: For Herbology, I made a little Cthulhu (with several dangling tentacles) using this pattern. I used a single strand of a thinner yarn, so he’s ~4 inches tall.
Project Picture:

back:

Class/Challenge: Transfiguration
Project Name: Blue Jersey Yarn
Brief Description: For Transfiguration, I upcycled a set of old jersey sheets into jersey yarn! For the fitted sheet, I cut the elastic & serged seams off, but used a seam ripper for the flat sheet. Both were cut into ~1" wide strips. I ended up with 2 large balls of jersey yarn and an elastic ‘string’ for my cat to play with. :grin:
Project Picture:

In the middle of cutting up the fitted sheet:

8 Likes

Congratulations on completing that amazing quilt!! Stash busting to the extreme! You earned 100 points for your house! :tada: :tada:

@jellybean - That cashew chicken looks soooo good! Wow!

2 Likes

Your cat looks so enthralled in your project, @jillybeans ! :smile:

And, yes, that cashew chicken does look so good! Yum!

1 Like

Your cashew chicken looks delicious, @jellybean!

Class or Challenge Title: Apparition
Project Name & Page Link: Batik Slashed Skirt
Brief Description: I made this maxi skirt to wear to a wedding later this Summer. Probably too big for a house elf…
Project Picture:

5 Likes

@jellybean Oh that Cthulu is sooo cute! And your helper cat is too, lol! I really like your idea of pre-prepping the chicken.

@tendstowardschaos Pretty skirt! I really like the godets made of a different fabric!

2 Likes

Challenge: Chapter 19, Servant of Lord Voldemort
Class: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Tree Silhouette Painting Sample
Project Description: I was inspired to make this after seeing a picture from this video. I’m doing a library craft class tomorrow, and when I surveyed the participants, MANY of them wanted a very very basic painting night, so we’re doing this! They really like to have a sample to look at, so I made one tonight. The sample also helps work out potential kinks. It’s still drying, so please forgive the messy board it’s clipped to!
Project Pic:

7 Likes

Lovely gradient on the background…I know that can be tricky to achieve!

1 Like

Thank you @PrincessP ! I really liked the video. Hopefully the people tomorrow will have a lot of fun!

Guess I’m on a roll. Here’s another:

Class: SoAR
Project Name: Chocolate Shrug
Project Description: I broke out a new ball of KnitPicks Palette and made this little shrug in one sitting while talking to my mom on the phone and after that watching the McElroy brothers lol! It was definitely relaxing and made me happy, too!
Project Pic:

7 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Brief Description: Like many families, we’ve had trouble finding formula for Ada. Jim’s coworkers asked which families in the company were using which formulas, so they could all keep an eye out. When he walked into his office on Tuesday there were several bottles and a box of premixed liquid formula on his desk, without any sort of note to know who bought it for us. Since I couldn’t send a thank you note to that person, I made a batch of cookies he could share with the whole office. I had some fancy Maroo raisins, so I did a nice spiced oatmeal raisin cookie. (The maroos are huge and very juicy.)
Project Picture:

6 Likes

@MistressJennie How lovely that everyone is looking out for each other this way. I bet everyone appreciated the cookies!! I’ve never even heard of Maroo raisins. Now I have to learn more. :slight_smile:

Summer Reading starts today at our library, so I’ve been making a lot of decorations!

Class: Astronomy
Project Name: KRAAAAAAAKEN!
Project Description: This kraken looks different from all angles, and the kids love him. It’s so fun to watch them come through the front door and just freeze and point. :grin: I was hoping not to make him too scary, maybe just alarming, lol, so one of my daughters suggested a Domo kun sort of mouth. I like how he turned out! (The ladder isn’t usually there - I just took this pic during installation.)
Project Pic:

Class: Charms
Project Name: Big Jellyfish
Project Description: These jellyfish used the very unexpected element of SHOWER CAPS! Each is made from a plastic bowl with a clear shower cap pulled over it and some strips of deconstructed shower puff and mesh tubing. I’m not sure how well you’ll be able to see it, but the shower cap pulls in on the underside of each bowl, making the bottom surface of the jelly’s body.
Project Pic:

Class: Flying
Project Name: Portholes
Project Description: These definitely needed to be made out-of-doors as there was a lot of spray paint involved. They are made of paper plates with the center cut out and pony beads glued around the edge. After spray painting, I glued plastic inside and an image behind each one. I made 5 total, but in the interest of saving space and time, I’ll just show 2 here.
Project Pic:

Class: Herbology
Project Name: Flock of Baby Jellies
Project Description: My boss scored some plastic bowls for free from a grad party and requested more jellies! Here they are with all their dangly tentacles. These are little baby ones.
Project Pic:

5 Likes

Your jellyfish are fabulous!!! My friend is having an undersea party for his daughter. I am going to see if he wants to make these for the party…I am sure Dollar store has bowls and I sure do have a lot of furry yarn and pouffs! Thanks…they are so fun!

2 Likes

Aw! I love that story @MistressJennie! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Moonflame - your kraken is hilariously awesome!!

1 Like

Your library is spectacular! I would love to read there :hugs:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch 19
Project Name & Page Link: Jackknife Quilt Block
Brief Description: After seeing the picture of this beautiful quilt block, I knew I had to make one for my upcoming Halloween sampler quilt. I love how it came out!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Mocha Chocolate Chip Oat Lactation Cookies
Brief Description: These cookies contain a few unusual ingredients, including brewer’s yeast. But if you’re looking for darn delicious cookies without needing to make breast milk, just make them without the yeast.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: HoM
Project Name & Page Link: Scrappy Dishcloths
Brief Description: These cloths have a bunch of different scraps of cotton yarn, all fused together into scrappy little dishcloths.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
Project Name & Page Link: Lactation Lemonade
Brief Description: A liquid craft! Hopefully this potion will help increase my milk production.
Project Picture:

Lactation Lemonade
6 Mother’s Milk teabags
3 Lemons
2 Tablespoons Honey
1 Sprig of Mint

Boil water. Brew the 6 teabags in 4 cups of water. Let steep for 10-20 minutes. Remove teabags and add the honey, stirring well to combine. Slice 3-4 thin slices from one of the lemons. Juice the remaining lemons, and add the juice to the pitcher of tea. Fill the pitcher with cool water, ice, then add in the lemon slices and sprig of mint. Pour half a glass of the lemonade, then top with sparkling water.

6 Likes