Beaded Beetle Brooch

I bought a little beetle brooch kit. I really want to make a bunch of beetle brooches but I decided to try a kit first to get a feel for the materials before making my own.

The kit was easy to follow for the most part. I am feeling my age as I definitely need to procure a strong craft light.

Now I need to buy a ton of supplies so I can design my own. :beetle:

28 Likes

That is a cool beetle! Hope you will show us if you design some others.

1 Like

I love insects! This is fantastic! Was it an easy to use kit?

1 Like

It looks like a stink bug. It is AWESOME! 10/10

1 Like

This is absolutely amazing! How difficult would you say it was on a level of 1-10 with 10 being hard? It’s definitely a 10,000,000 on the coolness scale though. Lovely!

1 Like

So wonderful, can’t wait to see what you design!

1 Like

Thanks everyone! @AIMR and @Kwality570, the kit was pretty easy. I mean…the teeny tiny beads and the beading thread were a bit fiddly. I couldn’t thread the needle unless I was in natural light and I accidentally flicked a bead or two across the room, but otherwise fairly simple. I would say 3 on the 1-10 scale. It’d probably be a 1 or 2 if my eyesight wasn’t so bad and I didn’t have little sausage fingers. :laughing:

I just ordered a ton of supplies so I can design a pretty blue beetle brooch.

7 Likes

OH man! I can’t wait to see the blue one!

1 Like

What a lovely buggy!

1 Like

Whoa. You beetle is really cool! There are so many tiny bits there, each doing a job to make this piece sing. Or buzz, maybe. About how big is the body? I can’t wait to see more!

I remember getting a good Ott light and how much it made crafting better! And then a couple years later a magnifying Ott light. The difference it made was more than enough to make up for the twinge of oy-I’m-aging!

2 Likes

Stunning results!! Can’t wait to see more of these from you.

1 Like

This looks like something from a museum or something! Super cool. I love it!

Plus it’s great to see a new project from you!

1 Like

@TheMistressT, it’s about 2 inches from top to bottom of beetle, not including antenna and legs.

Not that my hand is a good reference because hands come in all sizes but here’s the brooch on my palm. Heh.

I’m going to look into this light you speak of. If there isn’t natural light, I can’t thread the needle. The kid had to do it for me.

5 Likes

Your beetle is amazing!

Also, I can second the recommendation of an Ott-Light. They are fantastic. I have one that clamps onto a table, that I move around between my cutting table and sewing table, and I have one that’s a floor lamp that I keep beside the sofa for crocheting at night. It’s good because it focuses down on my work, but doesn’t light up the whole room, so it doesn’t bother other people watching tv. Both have bright daylight bulbs that I love working with.

2 Likes

Yes to the Ott light, I have table top & stand up & want another stand w magnifier.

1 Like

Gorgeous!

1 Like

Well sounds like I need an Ott light. I’ll have to hint heavily for Mother’s Day. :wink:

3 Likes

I saw this first thing this morning, and before I even got out of bed, it was in my cart and purchased!

You did such a beautiful job with it! I’m very impressed, and can only hope mine looks half as good.

1 Like

This is beautiful! I love the variety of beads!

I can also recommend an OttLite. I have one that can either be used with a base or a tabletop clamp and I also have a cheater desk lamp. I call it a cheater because I bought a cheap desk lamp and use it with a nice, bright Ott bulb.

1 Like

:rocket: Wow! This project is out of this world and one of this week’s featured projects! :rocket:

1 Like