Bee shrinky dink necklace

I have a thing for jewelry inspired by insects and other creepy crawlies. I have a honeycomb necklace, a beetle necklace, and 2 cicada necklaces. I put my crafty pants on and decided to make this bee necklace out of shrinky dink.

I traced a vintage image of a bee with sharpie onto the plastic. Then dabbed gold piñata alcohol ink around the edges and added an amber bead to the bottom. I want to make one with a Luna moth next, but I want to find my clear shrinky dink for that one.

19 Likes

That turned out really cool! I like how the gold layers over the image, almost as if it were pollen residue.

2 Likes

Very lovely…I never know what size to start with to make such a project…how big was the original image you made? The few times I have played around with the stuff, I could barely see what I drew…I love that inked edge…and the bead and chain go lovely with the gold!

2 Likes

Thanks! I wasn’t originally thinking about pollen but I like that. :slight_smile:

Thanks, @AIMR! Most shrinky dink shrinks to about 1/3 of the original size. The original was 5 inches from left to right; the finished size is about 2 inches.

6 Likes

Thanks! I definitely want to try it again…I have all sorts of packages that I got long ago and after making a few stitch markers that were quite disappointing, I gave up…seeing your bee has inspired me to try again!

1 Like

This is lovely! Who knew shrinky dinks could look so chic! :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks! :smiley:

It turned out so nice!

1 Like

So we’ll done! I haven’t done shrink plastic in a long while, might be time to break it out again!!

I love the gold, it adds great dimension! And the amber bead sets it off perfectly!

2 Likes

Beautiful!!!

2 Likes

Thanks @kittykill, @Bunny1kenobi, and @MistressJennie! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Oooh now THIS is good use of shrinky dinks! It looks fabulous!

2 Likes

I like the extra gold touch!

1 Like

This looks awesome! Did you add the gold after shrinking it, or before?

2 Likes

Thank you! :smiley:

Thanks! <3

Thanks! And to answer your question - both. I added it before but then I added more after to touch up some spots and even out the distribution of gold a bit. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I love it!
I would definitely wear it.

1 Like

This looks so fancy! I never would have guessed shrinky dink!

2 Likes

I like the shape you chose too. This is very chic looking.

2 Likes

This is lovely, the gold is such a nice touch.

2 Likes