Bee-utiful Minimalist Bag šŸ

Yesterday I had posted a little bee cross stitch in the Snapshot thread. Wellā€¦hereā€™s the final project!

I donā€™t like carrying big purses unless I really have to. I prefer just to have the basics: keys, money/cards, phone. I have a little purse like this I had gotten off of Amazon but I had seen this pattern on Etsy and inspired by my success of being able to make my cross stitch project case I decided Iā€™d challenge myself yet again.

[Pattern for this bag can be found here.]

Hereā€™s a close up of the cross stitch. I knew I wanted to kinda add sashing around it like quilting to make it the proper size but then I had the idea to make it into a hexagon to fit the whole bee theme. There was lots of math. Paper piecing. Measuring a billion times before doing it. And much nervousness of cutting up my cross stitch fabric. But I was so pleased with how this part turned out!

Anywayā€¦letā€™s take a tour! The little bee section is actually a front pocket!

And then thereā€™s the main compartment! Itā€™s zippered and lined andā€¦.isnā€™t big enough for my hand.

I mean, I donā€™t think I have huge hands. If I were a better zipper sewer Iā€™m sure I could tweak it a bit but I think if I make another I might just make the whole thing a tad wider.

I can put my phone in there though! And since my phone is tall I can grab it with no issue. Same with sunglasses. Once I realized Iā€™ll probably keep my phone in this compartment I felt better about the whole thing. I was so sad when I realized I couldnā€™t reach the bottom. Lol.

If you turn the whole thing over thereā€™s another zippered pocket on the back!

When you unzip it there is a gusset. Yaā€™llā€¦I feel like a fancy sewer making gussets.

And thanks to said gussetā€¦the pocket opens nice and wide to be able to fit things inā€¦AND my hand can reach the bottom.

I have a wallet but lately Iā€™ve taken to just carrying my credit card and ID card. Next on my list is a nice little card case to keep in here instead of letting them loosely about in the pocket all willy nilly.

NOT PICTURED: I have a long strap to wear this cross-body. The pattern has directions for a long strap or a short strap (kinda like a wristlet). The long strap I made is essentially homemade bias tape. I used the same bee fabric but I think I might make another and use the gray fabric instead.

Hereā€™s my old bag. I hope it enjoys retirement. Itā€™s served me well but the fabric is kinda plastic coated and has cracked apart on the strap, tearing up my neck. I always wished it had just a tad more space and now I have that!

Anyway, thanks for looking! I now own this pattern so if anyone ever wants to do a personal swap I have the skills to make more! Woohoo! Iā€™m really thinking this would be a great gift item too. All it would take is picking out the right fabrics for the person itā€™s intended for. Nowā€¦I just have to find a cheaper way to get all the hardware. Lol.

48 Likes

That looks so great. Brava to you for challenging yourself with another sewing project. And that bee! It is just bee-oo-tee-full!

1 Like

What a fabulous way to showcase some of your beautiful stitching!

Love that there is a place for everything in such a small bagā€¦

If you are no longer going to be using your old bag, be sure to salvage all of the usable parts!

2 Likes

Yes, for sure!! Iā€™ve already been eyeballing the hardware on that one. :laughing:

4 Likes

That is Fab.U.Lous. I am extremely jealous of your skills and new bag. I love it especially bringing the cross stitch into it. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Love the bag, especially your little bee!

2 Likes

Utterly adorable. Beautiful stitch work!

2 Likes

What a beautiful little bag! Lovely choice of fabric and the stitched bee makes it extra special.

2 Likes

Bee prepared to get tons of compliments when youā€™re out and about- that bag is gorgeous! The stitching takes it up way more than a notch. Just gorgeous. It looks like a boutique product and you should be very proud of it.

2 Likes

this is amazing!
I absolutely love the bee theme, and the whole thing just WORKS!!

2 Likes

Itā€™s gorgeous! I love the cross stitch and the fabric and all the compartments.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a great bag!

2 Likes

LOVE THIS! good job. This is basically the size of my walletā€¦ I have to have a huge bag.

3 Likes

The cross stitching and the stitch stitching are excellent! Bee-youtiful!

2 Likes

I have been eyeing this pattern, too! Love your rendition. It really showcases your talent!

3 Likes

The new bee bag is so gorgeous!!! I just love it!!

2 Likes

I also picked up a couple smaller bags this size! Theyā€™re so easy breezey! But mine arenā€™t as stunning as your little bee bag! And the addition of the cross stitch with foundation piecing? With a wee vent? Gah! So awesome!

Really great work!

1 Like

How lovely!
The shape of the bag is awesome, and so is the combination of the embroidered bee and the bee fabric.

1 Like

That came out beautiful!!!

1 Like

Love the bee theme, the hexagon around the bee, and the fantastic way it all turned out. Very professional! I know you will love this forever.

2 Likes