Beer Can Christmas Ornament

Hello Lettuce Craft, Happy New Year!
I made this ornament (which I hope doesn’t look as tacky as it sounds, lol!) for a friend of mine for Christmas this year. We both love the music of the Grateful Dead, and the can was pretty cute, so I used tin snips to cut apart a Dogfish Head Hazy Ripple IPA beer can and cut out the Dancing Bear and Steal Your Face images with regular scissors. I connected & embellished with beading supplies for a quick, fun and sparkly gift. I backed the aluminum with card stock using a 3M spray glue. This was a fun little craft! :beer::blush:

15 Likes

Neat! Was it hard cutting and shaping the metal?

What a great idea. I like you repurposed what would otherwise be trash

1 Like

Thanks Kittykill! No, it was super easy! I bought a pair of “Aviation Snips” from WalMart for $5.00, I needed those to cut into the can from the top drinking hole, but once the top of the can was cut off, the aluminum was very easy to cut, you could probably use children’s scissors. Very smooth cutting. Easy peasy!

1 Like

Thanks! I hadn’t thought about that aspect, but you are right!! :recycle:

such a clever idea! since most ipa’s and the like have great names and cool graphics, you could make lots of really fun ornaments like this. a whole tree of beer ornaments!

2 Likes

What a cheerful gift! Happy New Year!

1 Like

with the added benefit of having to “empty” the crafting material.

It is a fun ornament, thanks for sharing it!!

2 Likes

Oh man, you’re on to something! My husband is a big fan of IPAs, this is something he would probably like, and since I’ve got a whole year ahead, I could really go crazy! He would have his perfect trifecta tree at last, Star Wars, beer and ice hockey!

Right? Oh darn, gotta go to BevMo, need more beer -uh- supplies. :beers:

Not tacky at all…it turned out cute!

1 Like

It’s so cool what objects can be used for us crafting people :smiley: Great job, crafts which has a story is the best, and well put together :smiley:

1 Like

Ah yeah grrl! These are fab. A friend makes beer with great can art, fish eye PA (IPA) etc, haha. I am going to have to make him some ornaments!

2 Likes

Beer can art is an important part of the whole experience (of drinking beer) which often gets overlooked. Thank you for putting it in the spotlight! Heehee.

3 Likes

I don’t drink beer but I have a cat named Yeti so my sister got me a couple IPAs because they had Yetis on them. This is a fantastic idea of what to do with them. I love the way you added the beads to the bottom. I may be borrowing this idea. Thanks for the inspiration!

1 Like

I love this! I frequently buy beer based on the artwork on the label so I see a few of these on my project list.

2 Likes

That’s terrific!! And you’re right, there is so much great art happening in the craft beer industry, it’s a good time to be a beer drinking crafter!