Beignets! (with recipe link)

I’m always intimidated by yeast because I have a heavy hand when it comes to kneading so I usually work my dough til it deflates. I threw caution to the wind to make beignets this morning. Let me tell you they turned out AWESOME! The recipe is wonderfully written and easy to follow

I used this recipe
https://www.thekitchn.com/beignets-268400

12 Likes

They look delicious :smiley:

My MIL makes a Mennonite recipe (RollKuchen) that looks similar and after reading the recipe, I think it’s basically the same just a different name.

1 Like

Yumm! I’m a fan of beignets! I will definitely try this recipe, especially since my DH is about to bust out the deep fryer! Yaaassssss! :yum::heart::wink:

2 Likes

My coffee needs these companions right about now…Yum!

1 Like

We made those in PA…they are called fastnacht…basically, a fried donut…there is even a Fastnacht day…right before Ash Wednesday…all of the churches make them to sell…of course, I missed it this year since I don’t live there anymore…

1 Like

I edited my post once I figured out how to spell it … we call ours Rollkuchen.

2 Likes

Yum with a side of YUM!

1 Like

We have Shrove Tuesday and cook pancakes (very similar to French crepes).
Traditionally they were made to use up any ‘rich’ foods in the house in preparation for lent, now they are cooked because it’s ‘pancake day’ and I bet many people, adults as well as children, don’t know the significance of them.

3 Likes

Mmmm fried dough by any other name would taste as sweet!

1 Like

True! A lot of food history has been lost…

My hubby comes from Pennsylvania Dutch stock but does not eat donuts of any kind…but I love them!

1 Like

Yum! These remind me of my Louisiana roots, and also of my Oklahoma grandparents who would sometimes make from-scratch doughnuts for us when we visited.

3 Likes

They look amazing!

1 Like

Oh those look good - a few of those and a hot fresh coffee seems like a morning of bliss!

1 Like

Congrats! Your yummy beignets are one of this week’s featured projects.

2 Likes

Yummy!! These look fantastic!

1 Like

:drooling_face: new Orleans was an interesting experience in 2017, not one I’m in a hurry to repeat, except for beignets. I may have to make these

1 Like