Big Tex Cake

Like pretty much everything else, the State Fair of Texas was cancelled this year. To be perfectly honest, I have never been a big fan of the fair when I’ve gone (I don’t care for the “what crazy thing can we fry this year!” competition and most exhibits. And for other, probably more local-politics reasons.) While I do love a good corn dog and petting zoo with farm animals-those are easy to find elsewhere. What is hard to find are the awesome handicrafts/cooking displays. I loved wandering the halls looking at others’ needlework pieces and canning exploits. There are some super talented people in my neck of the woods.

With all that said, they are holding virtual contests this year, and to be completely honest, it is a bucket-list item for me to win a ribbon at a fair at some point. So, I’m going to try my hand this year! I am going to enter this cake in the “Big Tex” category—which is the fair mascot.

It’s a sponge cake with the decoration baked in, a stabilized whipped cream filling, and jello (gelatin) in the shape of the Texas flag running down the center. The star is a sprinkle. I’ll post a cut piece in the comments when we slice into it later tonight.

Here’s the logo image for reference. Wish me luck! I should find out sometime in October if I placed.

34 Likes

you’re a winner in my book! I knew who that was right away, Big Tex is a treasure!

1 Like

That’s so cool! You should definitely win; his image is perfect, the corn dogs surrounding him are so cute, and the flag is genius!

I remember Big Tex… at some point in my distant past I had a big plastic replica of him.

Fingers crossed for you to win the ribbon!!

1 Like

Best of luck to you!!!

1 Like

I hope win! That cake is epic.

1 Like

Whoa! That is so cool!

1 Like

How could you NOT win with a corndog-patterned sponge?! (I know the gelatin inset is probably the bigger technical achievement, but holy cow.)

4 Likes

That cake looks good! While I don’t know Big Tex (I grew up with the Iowa State Fair) his likeness is expressed in this cake. My favorite part are the corndogs!

1 Like

Holy Cow! This is insane! It’s like something you would see on a fancy cooking show. It’s so clean and perfect. My jaw is on the floor!

2 Likes

Amaaaaazing! I hope it tastes as good as it looks! I hope you win that blue ribbon! :crossed_fingers:If it was up to me, you would!!

1 Like

Whoa! That’s awesome.

1 Like

Congrats! Your Big Tex Cake is one of this week’s featured projects. You are awesome!

5 Likes

Thank you!!! This is better than any silly ribbon! :heart::heart:

2 Likes

This is FANTASTIC. Really a winner!

1 Like

That’s incredible! I made that cake where the slices looked like the American flag and thought it was a miracle when it worked. What you’ve done is almost beyond comprehension! Amazing.

2 Likes

That is absolutely amazing work! Wow!

1 Like

I am in awe of your fancy Texas cake. Wishing you the best of luck!

1 Like

That looks great, good luck!

1 Like

This is phenomenal!

1 Like

I won a red ribbon. :slight_smile: I’m happy about it-but still in search for a blue someday!!

5 Likes