Boho skirts into blouses with tutorial

More skirt transformations, this time into floaty long blouses to pair with leggings.

I used 2/3 of the skirt width for the body, and 1/3 for the yoke. There was juuust enough lace trim on that 1/3 to go around the neckline.

Again 2/3 of the skirt for the body of the blouse, leaving just enough of the pretty eyelet hem to make sleeves.

Pardon my threads!

next up; I’m trying to piece together enough green for a yoke, and got the ombre blue skirt the other day. Will it become a blouse or dress?

21 Likes

Ooh they’re lovely. If you ever should do a tutorial on how you do them, I for one would be all over that.

1 Like

These are simply gorgeous and look so comfy too. The first one is definitely my favorite.

1 Like

for @edel
By guess and by golly tutorial for dress or blouse:

Cut off the waistband. These skirts are often cut horribly off grain, so you lose a lot of fabric if you tear it. I choose to celebrate the wonkiness and maximize the fabric.

Hold the skirt up against your body and decide how long you want the blouse/dress/new garment.
Put a pin at the top of your shoulder.

Consider how full you want the new garment. Measure (i.e., wrap it around your body) and mark how big you want it at bust and waist. You may want to use the whole width.

Tiered skirts get wider as they go down; don’t cut straight down, match up top and bottom edges, folding the skirt along your cut line.

Cut off and save the extra fabric.

Use a pattern to cut the neckline and shoulders (placing the top of the shoulder seam where you placed the pin earlier) or to make a yoke, if you need more length.
I made a pattern from an existing blouse for this, but a commercial pattern is fine.

Stitch shoulder and side seams, finish neck and armhole.

If using a yoke, finish the neck and armholes before adding the body, so you don’t have to wrestle all that fabric. Alternative yoke: cut the bottom off a blouse.
If needed, do a gathering stitch around the top of the body.
Match up side seams and center front and back, pin and stitch. Check for mistakes and fix them.
Hem if needed.

For some blouses, I made a yoke pattern that’s long in back and short in front, to get a hi-low hem. The body piece is the same length all around, so I don’t lose any pretty hem details.

3 Likes

Those look terrific!
I can never follow a word tutorial myself, visual learner, but I bet I can figure something out.

1 Like

Pretend it’s just fabric, and use a pattern

Refashions often look kind of stiff when done, like the fabric remembers what it was. a trip through the washing machine usually resets the memory.

1 Like

Wow @steiconi! I’m in awe of folks who can take this and turn it into that. Love the blouses. No one will ever be able to guess.

1 Like

I have so many similar skirts that I don’t want to wear anymore…leggings are my go-to so making them into tops is a wonderful idea…I love how you saved the best parts, the trim, the lace…thanks for sharing…can’t wait to see more!

2 Likes

Such a great idea and wonderful execution!

1 Like

Very cool, thank you :grin: as @AIMR said, I love how you saved the best details of the originals.

Once our thrift shops open again, I’ll be looking out for some skirts to play with. I scored a really cheap tailors dummy second hand. It’s about half my width, but I can pad it out. It will come in really useful for this.

1 Like

Wow! One would never know these started their lives covering the lower half. They look great!

2 Likes

They look so floaty- perfect for summer!

1 Like

Thanks for the tutorial. I have a few skirts that I can play with.

1 Like

Your one stylish lady! Love these transformations too!

2 Likes

Fabulous! Thanks for sharing your process - lots of clever tips!!

1 Like