BOLO - Ornament Swaps 2023; Ongoing, and possible Sweat Shoppe Style revival

I’ll just run the ongoing Sept - Oct, not both months. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oooops! Sorry; I’ll correct that in my post.

1 Like

Thanks to @endymion and @lynx for doing both of these swaps! It’s going to be super fun. Now to figure out my sweat shop ornaments!

4 Likes

This timeline works out perfectly for me! I have a craft booth on the 15th, but I can craft whatever I want after that!

3 Likes

I love making ornaments. I prefer to tailor them to whoever receives them though.

2 Likes

The ongoing ornament swap is up!

2 Likes

I’m thinking of renaming the Sweat Shoppe Ornament Swap to something without the negative reference (sweat shops!)

If anyone would be upset by this, or if you have a good new name suggestion, let me know.

1 Like

Since its about making multiples of the same item, what about…? :thinking:

Peas in a pod swap
multiple madness

2 Likes

I was just thinking the same thing, to focus on the multiples. Multiple Madness might be fun!

Oooh, just thought of:
Small-Batch Ornament Match

3 Likes

It’s cute and it rhymes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m also looking at changing the dates. I don’t know what I was thinking; we can do it a bit later and still get ornaments in plenty of time for winter holidays.

My current plan is:
Sign-ups Sept 29-Oct 29
Wish list creation/submission Oct 30-Nov 5
Host does match-ups Nov 6-7
Send outs Nov 8-15

2 Likes

I always misread it as Sweet Shoppe Ornament Swap :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I’ve not got many promising ideas on the name. Small Collection OS, Dance of the Ornament Fair… It is just stuck on the words fair and exchange. Probably not helpful.

I’ll be there no matter the dates.

2 Likes

Personally, I don’t have an issue with the name, it’s a long standing tradition with this group. My concern, especially the first year, is that people might miss it under a different name. Not everyone reads every discussion, so people waiting to see that swap show up wouldn’t know the new name. If you do change it, I’d suggest you reference what it used to be called, at least for this year.

2 Likes

I vote for this ^

“Madness/crazy” etc is harmful, ableist language, if we’re discussing such things.

What is BOLO? I confess I’ve avoided this topic out of sheer confusion.

3 Likes

I had to look it up, too. Be On [the] Look-Out.

3 Likes

I looked it up & got nuthin but a bunch of weird companies! Lol

Me too!
I thought there was a BOLO swap; we all make Western wear accessories.

2 Likes

Haha, I must read/watch more books/programs that use that acronym than others.

1 Like

I think we’ll go with “Small-Batch Ornament Match”.

I’ll definitely list both titles, this time! Want everyone who has been looking forward to it, to be able to find it.

It has been suggested to me in a PM that we consider limiting it to U.S. swappers due to shipping cost concerns. I’m reluctant to do this, but also want to protect people from having to pay more shipping fees than they can afford. I am considering different options and will try to set up a poll about it.

International shipping rates are rising, and I’m told the EU has a new policy whereby the recipient of a small package would have to pay extra ($15 in one case) to receive their item, above and beyond whatever the shipper paid.

Also, be aware that U.S. domestic rates may have also increased. They officially no longer allow any type of package to go First Class. As of July, that is now restricted to letters/papers.

Should Small-Batch/Sweat Shop Swap be Domestic or International?

• Yes, open to everyone!
  • Restricted to U.S. to make it affordable
  • Open to international, with each swapper declaring their location and whether or not they’ll ship internationally
  • Open to international, but each swapper shipping only within their own region (US or NA, EU, etc)
  • Other (please tell us in the comments if you have a great idea!)
0 voters
2 Likes