Book gecko

Hello there! We seem to have a critter stuck in this book…

No, wait… It’s just being helpful and marking my place in the book. How considerate!

I made this for a swap, and since kittykill have received I can post this helpful critter in its own thread. It was a fun pattern, but not very quick to make for me since I needed to take frequent breaks to keep my hands happy.

I used this pattern. It’s free with ads, or I could have bought it as a pdf on ravelry. The pattern was well written and with plenty of good quality pictures for the tricky parts.

There are tons of bookmark patterns for all kinds of squished critters and characters on the same site. The gecko and rat are free, but given the quality of the patterns I wouldn’t mind paying for it. The only tricky part would be to decide what to get… There are so many!

I think I used the yarn Catona from Scheepjes, a yarn very similar to Catania. It could have been either, to be honest. I’ve got both yarns mixed in the same box since they’re the same weight cotton.

The hook size (2,5 mm) is smaller than I usually use for the yarn, but I like the result. A bit hard to push the hook through at some points since the fabric was very stiff. The result was worth it even if it was tough to work with.

Modifications: I crocheted a flower using a similar method as for the fingers and toes for some extra flair. I used plastic eyes instead of using knotted yarn for the pupil.

23 Likes

:laughing: this is so great!
At my school we have a serial read that we read to the kids as they eat at recess and lunchtime everyday, at the moment, it’s James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl. A bookmark like this would be epic and so fun for the kids (instead of the scrap of paper we often use :see_no_evil:) I might work up the courage to have a go one day!

2 Likes

It was a helpful pattern with all the pictures so I’m sure you can do it. If you want to make ot a bit easier for yourself pick a slightly larger hook for that weight yarn. Also: you can cram a ton of stuffing in a tiny gecko head :laughing: When it looked like the right amount I took another wad of fiberfill and crammed double the amount in there.

The pattern lists all techniques used and they are links so I’m guessing you can click for additional help. I’ve made amigurumi before so I knew what they meant.

1 Like

Oh, and I took the photo on an ironing board for a reason. It needed some help to lay flat since everything was kind of warped. Another good thing about cotton, you can just iron it into submission… I didn’t iron the head or toes since I wanted the toes to stay 3D

2 Likes

This is really cute!

1 Like

What an adorable gekko!

1 Like

Oh my gosh! I love him so much! Those ridiculous eyes are the best.

1 Like

Great tips! Thank you :hugs:

1 Like

What a fun bookmark!

1 Like

Hee! Cutiepie!

1 Like

The eyes are what made me want to try this pattern. After crocheting it I really like the feet too.

1 Like

This is all mine and I love it! It is so cute and fun.

1 Like

So cuuute! I love him!

1 Like

:rofl::joy::sweat_smile::hugs::laughing:

1 Like

Congrats! Your Book Geeko is one of this week’s featured projects. :heart:

1 Like

I have a thing for bookmarks and I adore this. Too cute!!!

2 Likes

This makes me smile. You did a great job on this gecko and it definitely makes for a far more fun bookmark than scraps of paper or tissue!

1 Like