Bookshelf in a tin

I made this for @calluna in the Use What You Have swap. I had so much fun with this! She has a penchant for 18th/19th century decor and costumes so I tried to follow those lines. I printed the background paper off a website that features historical wallpapers and this one is from the 1700s and I thought it was delightful. I used book covers from Alphastamps, as well as some prints of textured leather, to make the books. I used powdered colored chalk mixed with E6000 to make wine for the glass but I think I must find a different way to do that because the glue softened the plastic a bit and made the goblet a bit wobbly atop its stem. I had to try to discreetly support it with a little hot glue. I also made the lamp, candle and tiny box.

The box was a fun experiment! I used mat board to create a base and a lid, covered the outside with paper printed with a tooled leather pattern, and painted the interior. I used a scrap of cotton fabric to make the hinge, then covered most of the fabric with additional pieces of the paper, to tidy up the look. The clasp is a piece off of a vintage necklace, along with a tiny piece of leather off of which I stripped most of the suede. Inside the box, I included some Civil War era 50c bills that I made, as well as a tiny โ€œdiamondโ€ ring.

The outside of the tin features collage items from Alphastamps:

32 Likes

This came out great! Have you ever used Ice Resin? Iโ€™ve used it to fill a wine glass. It tints nicely with a dot of oil paint.

Thank you!!

Iโ€™m not familiar with ice resin. Iโ€™ll have to look into that.

That is so cool! I love it!

1 Like

ME TOO! :grin:

2 Likes

the oil lantern!!! Those are my fave

3 Likes

Thanks, everyone!

Sooo creative. That kerosene lamp is my favorite part. I love the creative use of the thumbtack for the top!

1 Like

So tiny and really well done.

1 Like

The oil lamp in brilliant.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!

You did such a great job on this! The wallpaper you chose definitely sets the tone for a vintage feel! I love all the little objects you made and am impressed by the ingenuity required to repurpose odd bits into tiny recognizable items!

2 Likes

Thank you!

This is beautiful, I love all the details. I use nail varnish for โ€˜wineโ€™ it sets up fast and looks good. You just need to not be smeary like me!

Thank you!

Nail polish!! Canโ€™t believe that never occurred to me!! :+1:

I agree about the oil lamp. So clever and it totally worked!

1 Like

Thanks!!

I love little altoid tins and even better that you have a stash box with riches. Isnโ€™t alphastamps wonderful?

1 Like

Thank you!

Yes, I love Alphastamps!!

How do you do the shelves? Iโ€™m imagining cardboard with โ€œtabsโ€ for glueing onto the side but then the wrapping them would be trickyโ€ฆ

1 Like