Bookshelf in a tin

I made this for @calluna in the Use What You Have swap. I had so much fun with this! She has a penchant for 18th/19th century decor and costumes so I tried to follow those lines. I printed the background paper off a website that features historical wallpapers and this one is from the 1700s and I thought it was delightful. I used book covers from Alphastamps, as well as some prints of textured leather, to make the books. I used powdered colored chalk mixed with E6000 to make wine for the glass but I think I must find a different way to do that because the glue softened the plastic a bit and made the goblet a bit wobbly atop its stem. I had to try to discreetly support it with a little hot glue. I also made the lamp, candle and tiny box.

The box was a fun experiment! I used mat board to create a base and a lid, covered the outside with paper printed with a tooled leather pattern, and painted the interior. I used a scrap of cotton fabric to make the hinge, then covered most of the fabric with additional pieces of the paper, to tidy up the look. The clasp is a piece off of a vintage necklace, along with a tiny piece of leather off of which I stripped most of the suede. Inside the box, I included some Civil War era 50c bills that I made, as well as a tiny “diamond” ring.

The outside of the tin features collage items from Alphastamps:

30 Likes

This came out great! Have you ever used Ice Resin? I’ve used it to fill a wine glass. It tints nicely with a dot of oil paint.

Thank you!!

I’m not familiar with ice resin. I’ll have to look into that.

That is so cool! I love it!

1 Like

ME TOO! :grin:

2 Likes

the oil lantern!!! Those are my fave

3 Likes

Thanks, everyone!

Sooo creative. That kerosene lamp is my favorite part. I love the creative use of the thumbtack for the top!

1 Like

So tiny and really well done.

1 Like

The oil lamp in brilliant.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!

You did such a great job on this! The wallpaper you chose definitely sets the tone for a vintage feel! I love all the little objects you made and am impressed by the ingenuity required to repurpose odd bits into tiny recognizable items!

2 Likes

Thank you!

This is beautiful, I love all the details. I use nail varnish for ‘wine’ it sets up fast and looks good. You just need to not be smeary like me!

Thank you!

Nail polish!! Can’t believe that never occurred to me!! :+1:

I agree about the oil lamp. So clever and it totally worked!

1 Like

Thanks!!

I love little altoid tins and even better that you have a stash box with riches. Isn’t alphastamps wonderful?

1 Like

Thank you!

Yes, I love Alphastamps!!

How do you do the shelves? I’m imagining cardboard with “tabs” for glueing onto the side but then the wrapping them would be tricky…

1 Like