Bowl Cozy Crazy over here!

So…I’m making bowl cozies that are going to be given as gifts.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Should I include care instructions?

2. Is there an easier way to pre-shrink the batting? Holy canoli, is that ever time consuming!

Here are some of the ones I’ve made. :smile:

16 Likes

What a great start you have already. These are lovely! I can’t offer advice on preshrinking your batting, but I do think a little card with care instructions would be appreciated by your recipients.

2 Likes

I love bowl cozies. They are the best! I love giving them as gifts. Yours look fantastic.
How are you preshrinking? Washing? You can get some batting preshrunk, or you can just soak it completely with water, throw it in the washer on the spin cycle, then dry it. Faster.

1 Like

great cozies! A friend gave me a couple for christmas, and I use them practically every day.

ETA: I knew what they were, so just started using them. But maybe I’m using them wrong! off to google…

Here are Pampered Chef’s directions:

Use & Care

warning\ 387x21

• Only use in microwaves with an operating turntable.
  • Do not place the cozy in microwave empty. Always ensure the cozy contains a microwave-safe bowl filled with food.
  • Always use on a clean, residue-free microwave turntable.
  • Do not use in microwave for longer than 12 minutes for initial cook time. If additional time is needed, do not microwave for more than 2-minute intervals.
  • Intended as a cozy to hold items in the microwave. Not intended to hold or remove items from the stovetop, oven, or grill.
  • Do not grab the cozy from the microwave if it’s hot and wet. Failure to adhere to these warnings may lead to a thermal event.

CLEANING

• Machine wash gentle cycle in cold water with like colors. Air dry fully. Do not use fabric softeners or chlorine bleach. Reshape as needed.

USE AND CARE

1. Place a microwave-safe bowl (filled with food) in the cozy. Put the cozy with the bowl into the microwave.
  2. Reheat food with liquids (such as soups, stews, chili) for up to 12 minutes in the microwave. If additional time is needed, do not microwave for more than 2-minute intervals.

SAFEGUARDS

• Not intended for baking purposes.
2 Likes

Very lovely! If I were receiving as a gift, I’d definitely appreciate a little tag or card or note with care instructions.

2 Likes

I’m soaking in hot water. I had thought that the spin of the dryer would cause the batting to distort, similar to agitation in a wash cycle.

1 Like

I was thinking along these care lines. Good to know that I got it right. :grin:

1 Like

I’ve long been one to start holiday gift preparation (or purchases) early. Being a teacher, the time period between Thanksgiving and Christmas is always insane. Add in the insanity of my two kids when they were younger and the added stress of holiday gift giving, I had to adjust for my sanity’s sake. :wink:

Will there be a Holiday Craft Along this year? Has it started? I’ll hop in if it has!

3 Likes

I machine wash my cozies on regular (vs. gentle) and tumble dry without incident. They’re homemade ones from a swap, and those were the instructions the sender gave, so YMMV depending on fabric, construction, etc. But I’m not a sewist, so I defer to the fabric experts.

1 Like

I, too, get going on holiday gifts early - bought or made. I picked up a few stocking stuffers over the weekend while I was out of town.

The Christmas Craftalong from 2020 is still going strong! Lots of activity over there!

4 Likes

Oh good, I thought I was the crazy person for starting early. :laughing:

I’ll hop over to the Craftalong. Thanks!

3 Likes

I guess it could. I have never had an issue before, but maybe others have. ?

1 Like

I bet those are fabulous for keeping a bowl of queso warm.
If I were a recipient I would like a little card or even a tag that has those washing symbols on it. Or both.

3 Likes

Bowl cozies are an excellent gift! My parents also use theirs for helping to keep a bowl of ice cream cold longer in the summer time.

Your fabric choices are awesome!

2 Likes

Thank you! This might seem weird, but I actually struggle with prints in general. Matching them is hard for me. LoL

1 Like

Love the UGA one! Go Dawgs

1 Like