Get Ahead of the Holidays Challenge - DEADLINE EXTENDED!

:scissors: :snowflake: :yarn: :christmas_tree: :thread: :gift: :safety_pin: :candle: :scissors: :snowflake: :yarn: :christmas_tree: :thread: :gift: :safety_pin: :candle: :scissors: :snowflake: :yarn: :christmas_tree: :thread: :gift: :safety_pin: :candle: :scissors: :snowflake: :yarn: :christmas_tree: :thread: :gift: :safety_pin: :candle:

The holidays are coming when now???

We all do it every year; plan to make lovely handmade things for friends and family for the holidays. We even decide we’ll get started months in advance, so we have plenty of time to make knit lace shawls for every single aunt, and an afghan for mom. We buy the supplies, and start on our grand plans. But then come November, we’ve wound some yarn cakes, and made a handful of granny squares, before getting distracted with summer tie dye projects with the kids, with making a new autumn wreath for the door, and then whipping up those epic Halloween costumes.

Where are the handmade gifts I had planned?!?!

Never fear. They’re right here, waiting to be unlocked in this Lettuce Craft Challenge! For this challenge, you really will get ahead on your holiday crafting by whipping up a project NOW, in the next 6 weeks. This project can be a large batch of a single thing, like dozens of jars of jam to give your neighbors. Are you part of a family cookie exchange every year? Make your dough now and freeze till the party in December! How about 50 handmade holiday cards for everyone on your list? Or this could be a single item: perhaps something simple for but poignant for your spouse or kiddo, because you always put their gifts off, in order to finish things for other people. It can be something you’ve been trying to finish for your home for years now; like that winter quilt you’ve got all cut out, but never stitched. Or it can be one especially large item for someone special, that you’re worried you just won’t finish in time for gifting.

Please note that this Challenge is open to all holidays that happen between now and New Year’s Eve. You may craft for Thanksgiving, Yule, Solstice, Hanukah, Christmas, St. Lucia Day, etc, etc, etc. We want to see whatever you make, for whatever your holiday!

Crafting Period: Six Weeks! Eight Weeks! September 10th - November 6th, 2023, at midnight.

Inspiration:
-Scrappy fabric Bookmarks (with tutorial!) by @jemimah
-Bowl Cozies from @Bajita
-Canvas Assemblege Magnets by @Annchen
-Mildly-snarky Bird Holiday Notecards from @calluna
-Easy Upcycled Soy Candles (with tutorial!) by me, MistressJennie
-Strawberry Rhubarb Jam by @artsycandice
-Cross Stitch Christmas Cards by @Whistlefish
-Repurposed Greeting Card Tags & Bags by @TheMistressT
-Husband’s Christmas Socks from @AntBee
-Salt Dough Ornaments (with tutorial!) from @sweets4ever

The Rules:

• Your craft may be any medium that we have a category for here on Lettuce Craft.
  • Each member may only submit one entry, which cannot already be posted on its own thread.
  • Additionally, your entry may not be submitted for any other contest in this community.
  • All entries must be posted by Monday, November 6th, midnight, your local time. (LC will timestamp your post.)

The winner of the Get Ahead of the Holidays Challenge will receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

Additional Details:

• You should submit your entry by creating a project post on the correct Completed Projects sub-board for your medium. (Ie. a recipe goes on the Food & Drinks board)
  • You are REQUIRED to have a descriptive title and then include “- Get Ahead of the Holidays Challenge Entry” (example: Scrap Quilt - Get Ahead of the Holidays Challenge Entry). Once you have posted your submission, you need to reply to this thread with a link to your post. If you do not do this, your entry will not be considered.
  • Voting will happen on October 23-30, 2023 November 7th-14th, 2023.
  • The winner will be announced on November 1- we will contact you via Private Message, after the announcement.
  • If cheating of any sort is discovered, the applicable entry and votes will be disqualified.

If you have any questions, or want to chat about your crafting progress for this challenge, post it here! Let’s have fun! Happy crafting!

:scissors: :snowflake: :yarn: :christmas_tree: :thread: :gift: :safety_pin: :candle: :scissors: :snowflake: :yarn: :christmas_tree: :thread: :gift: :safety_pin: :candle: :scissors: :snowflake: :yarn: :christmas_tree: :thread: :gift: :safety_pin: :candle: :scissors: :snowflake: :yarn: :christmas_tree: :thread: :gift: :safety_pin: :candle:

Entries
@LovelyMiss’s Felt Bowls/Baskets
@sheepBlue’s Unisex Knitted Cowl
@Immaculata’s His & Hers Christmas Socks
@steiconi’s Aloha Shirt
@TheMistressT’s We’re Stumped! Thanksgiving Place Card Favor Boxes
@tendstowardschaosAmericana Musselburghs
@wittychild’s Grinch Scarf
@MistressJennie’s Rabbit Wishes Lino Prints

Get Ahead of the Holidays Challenge!
  • Felt Bowls/Baskets
  • Unisex Knitted Cowl
  • His & Hers Christmas Socks
  • Aloha Shirt
  • We’re Stumped! Thanksgiving Place Card Favors
  • Americana Musselburghs
  • Grinch Scarf
0 voters
11 Likes

Oh man. I NEED this to get my butt in gear for those holidays that will be here before I know it! :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

We’re going to my parent’s in FL this year (I’ve never been) so will be doing zero decorating or gift exchange! Do I lose this challenge or do I win? LOL

6 Likes

Ooooh, I’ll have to think about this! I’ve been trying to do less this year for holidays…but I also usually start crafting for the holidays in August and I’ve missed doing it already!

2 Likes

Bookmarked this. I need the inspiration! Great contest idea. :tada:

2 Likes

I’m on board. I’m planning gifts for some of the family so this will help me stay on track hopefully.

2 Likes

Here is my entry! Thanks @Abbeeroad and @MistressJennie for the prompting! :grin:

6 Likes

I finished a holiday present, and completely forgot about this challenge. I’ll have to get my ish together and get pictures/make a post.

5 Likes

ANNOUNCEMENT! Since we only have one entry so far, I’m extending the deadline on this Challenge to November 6th!!! I’ve altered the first post to reflect the new deadlines.

So what are you doing still reading this?!?!? The holidays are hurtling towards us! Go get crafting!

6 Likes

I forgot all about this challenge! I’ve finished a couple of things over the last few weeks.

3 Likes

Be sure to pick one and post it!

3 Likes

Whew, had my cowl done for a bit now, but finally got around to taking pictures!! Here’s my entry.

3 Likes

It’s no a super special project, but I really enjoyed making these. Sock knitting is very meditative. And I’m sure these will get a lot of wear, even after Christmas. I wear hand-knitted socks all winter.

2 Likes

Thank you for the inspiration, it got me to actually make the project in a timely fashion!

3 Likes

D’oh! I forgot about this and should have submitted my stump favor box place cards. That hasn’t diminished my enjoyment of seeing all the great projects y’all are coming up with one bit, though!

3 Likes

Tara, you still have time! The deadline was extended and we’d love to have your submission. Just alter your project post to include 'Get Ahead of the Holidays Challenge", and post a link here. :smile:

2 Likes

I thought that was cheating! I will do it. I have done it. THANKS!

6 Likes

I’ll be darned! I managed to finish a Christmas scarf for my mom in time.

4 Likes

Here’s my entry, right at the last minute!

3 Likes

This Challenge is CLOSED! Now it’s time to VOTE! Please vote in the poll at the bottom of the first post of the thread.

3 Likes