Boxed Steampunk Journal

I made this boxed journal for a swap. I had decided to make a journal based on a pin from my partner’s Pinterest and used my Sizzix Big Shot to emboss the papers used to cover the front and back covers. The paper is a black sort of shimmery black paper that I inked with copper to highlight the textures.

While looking for cool end papers I found this fun old-timey advertisement print that mentioned “costumes and millinery” which was perfect for my partner! I stamped some cool steampunk-y images on there with some Distress Ink (walnut, I think). The front page has some old stamps that I got in a little bag of such at an antique mall a couple years ago.

Then I went through the same pad that the endpapers came from to find paper for the pages that I inserted randomly front- and back-facing so the white pages wouldn’t all be one direction. Here are a few of the “spreads.”

Journal04

Journal05

The whole thing is bound using my Bind-it-all. I love that thing!

Before I started this, as I was looking though my abundant stash, I came upon this cool old-fashioned laboratory paper which I thought was perfect for my partner - who made this super cool diorama of Dr Morrison Hedwith’s basement lab. And I had been itching to make this nifty box svg file with my Cricut Explore. Eureka! The box determined the size of the journal.

JournalBox04

There’s also panel on the lid flap that looks like old Victorian ceiling tile. This green ribbon matched nicely with the green on the journal’s endpapers and was a good size, so YEY stash! Then I added the little vintage-style key for a little pizzazz.

I tried to leave plenty of room for the book to expand with glued-in bits or photos or whatever my partner would want to do, but also include lots of papers that would be easily written directly on, too. Secrets, of course.

18 Likes

Oh my gosh, I love it!! As you say, perfect for me! Thank you so much! :heart:

2 Likes

I love this SO hard! It is wonderful.

3 Likes

So glad you like it, @Bunny1kenobi!

2 Likes

This whole project is so epic! Love it.

2 Likes

@Bunny1kenobi is one lucky partner. Holy cow. This is beautiful. I love the notebook. It is perfect for her. The box is the icing on the cake. Such beautiful work.

1 Like

You really think of everything! The “secret” key is very clever!

2 Likes

Thanks so much, everyone!

1 Like

Love your paper choices!

Smart. This is the kind of thing I probably wouldn’t have thought of until too late.

1 Like

Thank you!!!

This is exactly the kind of thing that makes most projects I do take 3x as long as other people! I worry and think and consider and reconsider and sleep on it!

2 Likes

Wow, that is a wonderful notebook!
I love it. Especially the embossed and metal toned outside cover.

1 Like

I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again: craft wizard. Wi-zerrrrrrrd.

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone!

1 Like

Gorgeous! Love all the colors and the little details. :heartpulse:

2 Likes

I love this! Been considering buying a bind-it-all.

1 Like

Thanks y’all!

I love mine. I don’t use it all the time, but when I do I’m always tickled! I have another project coming up in the next little bit. :grin:

1 Like