Boxy Grocery Bag - F&T 2020 Q1 Contest Entry

I’ve had fabric for awhile to make reusable grocery bags and just never got around to it until I saw this challenge and it spurred me to make my first one.

… I’m hoping it fits the guidelines (fibre or textile) but if it doesn’t then I’ll withdraw the entry …

I don’t think I’ll use this pattern again as I think the sides are too floppy. I own one I think I’ll copy instead.

24 Likes

This fabric is so cute!

2 Likes

Yes, the fabric is super cute! Maybe the floppy sides aren’t a bad thing… it looks like it would hold a lot of groceries.

2 Likes

Love the fabric! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Oh my gosh I love the fabric!!! It’s a very cute bag.

2 Likes

I think it looks really good. One time I made a bag like this with sides I thought too “floppy”, I fixed them by adding strong snaps to keep the folded insidey side bits folded inside. Worked great.

3 Likes

Cute, functional and not so large that it can’t be carried home when full of groceries!!! Nice!

2 Likes

@Immaculata @Cyn-energy @endymion @poetrylover828 … I bought this canvas online and it’s originally from Japan. I have another piece waiting to be used in a bag :smiley:

2 Likes

Love the fabric!

Nice construction on your handles too :smiley:

2 Likes

Sometimes the less structured ones come in handy. and i can stuff it in my purse easier.

:metal:

2 Likes

Great bag and amazing fabric!
I’m pretty sure my @CraftyJedi would love it too.

2 Likes

That is cute fabric and I do like the boxiness of it!

2 Likes

I like that you chose a print, I timidly chose a solid blue canvas and used a Target bag as a pattern.

2 Likes

Love your new grocery tote…it looks sturdy enough to haul all the heavy stuff. And yes, that fabric is adorable!

2 Likes

Ooo! This looks like a great shopping bag! Sturdy and big-enough without being too big. Of course, that print is adorable, too!

3 Likes

Yay for cute grocery totes! You did a great job on this, and it will make shopping a pleasure.

1 Like

Love the fabric! And that looks like a good size - big enough to hold a lot but not too big to carry when it’s full.

I wonder if the floppy side issue couldn’t be helped by sewing a very narrow topstitch across the corner seams, so they want to fold in rather than out.

I don’t know if that made any sense. Maybe a drawing will make it clearer:

I’ve also found it helpful to sew the straps onto the outside, just slightly below the top edge, so they want to fall away from the opening rather than into it as you’re trying to load the bag. Things to consider for the second one.

4 Likes

Great idea, I’ll give it a try on this one.

Hey Friends! There’s just a few more hours left to vote in this challenge. You can vote in the Fiber & Textile Spring Greening Challenge.

And while you’re at it, why not stop by and vote in the Decorative & Functional Spring Cleaning with a Twist Challenge which closes tomorrow, and the Art Miniaturize My Craft Challenge, which closes Tuesday.**