Butterscotch and Chocolate Chip Spiced Oatmeal Cookies

I tried out a new cookie recipe last night, adapted from these Vaguely Less Bad for You Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. Glamour shot:

Recipe:

Ingredients

3/4 c flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
1 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t ground ginger
dash each ground allspice and ground clove
1 egg
1 c oats
1/4 c butter or margarine
1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 t hot water
1 t vanilla extract
1/4 c chocolate chips
1/2 c butterscotch chips

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Combine the flour, salt, soda, spices, and oats; set aside.
  2. With a mixer, cream butter/margarine, applesauce, sugar, and egg until light and fluffy. Relatively speaking; my batter usually looks curdled at this stage – I think because I forget/am too impatient to bring the cold ingredients to room temp – and works fine.
  3. At a low speed, add the dry mixture, hot water, and vanilla. Beat until just mixed. I add the dry ingredients in a couple/few batches versus dumping the whole lot in at once, but I don’t know that doing so is strictly necessary.
  4. Mix in the chips either with the mixer or by hand.
  5. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet. If your dough is cold, these don’t really spread much while baking, so you may want to flatten them a bit if you don’t want a rounded cookie. I use a small scooper to portion out the dough and then press lightly w/the back of the scoop or a spoon.
  6. Bake 8-10 minutes.

I used dark chocolate chips, but use whatever sounds good to you. Next time I’ll probably adjust the butterscotch to chocolate ratio; these are a touch butterscotch-heavy for my preference. I’m quite happy with the spice level — noticeable but not overwhelming – but you could also adjust the spices/amounts to your taste as well. Here’s the sheet out of the oven, as posted in the Snapshot thread.
20201103_185643

Thanks for looking!

7 Likes

Yum!! I like that it has both chocolate and butterscotch chips. It looks and sounds tasty!

Mmmm…I like to use the PB and chocolate chips in my oatmeal cookies. Will have to try the butterscotch combo!

those sound good

I need to get some PB chips. Chocolate + PB is one of my favorite pairings.

Well, I’ve eaten too many of them already, so…

2 Likes

I’ve booked marked it. I have everything but butterscotch chips. and I love butterscotch.

I love oatmeal scotchies! These look delish!

These sound and look so good!

I recently drank some awesome oatmeal cookie shots variation. I was unaware of these variation and just know about traditional version. But when i check an article on Oatmeal Cookie Shot variation and i tried them i just love most of variations.
My fav. is Oatmeal Cookie Shot With Fireball and Rumchata

2 Likes

I’ve never had an oatmeal cookie shot. that sounds pretty good.

Buddy its really mouth watering

Mmm, those look and sound delish.
I have one of those pouches of saucey fruit for babies from when one of the kids had their wisdom teeth out and couldn’t eat anything that wasn’t mush, haha. I’ve been thinking about how to use it up in baking, your recipe is just perfect. Thanks!