Vaguely Less Bad for You Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Look, I’m not going to try to bill these cookies as good for you, but they are quite tasty despite some ingredient swaps to lighten them a bit.

Ingredients
3/4 c flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
1 egg
1 c oats
1/4 c butter or margarine
1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 t hot water
1/2 t vanilla extract
3/4 c chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Sift flour with salt and soda; set aside.

2. With a mixer, cream butter/margarine, applesauce, sugar, and egg until light and fluffy. Relatively speaking; my batter usually looks curdled at this stage – I think because I forget to bring the cold ingredients to room temp – and works fine. The photo below is where I ended this step with last night’s batch.

3. At a low speed, add the flour mixture, oats, hot water, and vanilla. Beat until just mixed. I did this in a few steps versus dumping it all in at once, although the original recipe I adapted this from didn’t actually specify that.

4. Add the chocolate chips.

5. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Note that in my experience these don’t really spread much while baking, so you may want to flatten them a bit if you don’t want a rounded cookie. I used a small scooper to portion out the batter and then pressed lightly w/the back of a spoon.

6. Bake 8-10 minutes. I let them cool on the sheet for a couple of minutes and then transfer to a rack.

I can’t really tell you the yield on this recipe because I typically freeze some of the dough in an attempt at portion control. I baked off 11 last night and froze probably half the dough, so maybe 2 dozen? It depends on how big you make the cookies, I guess.

Thanks for looking!

4 Likes

mmm cookies are meant to be a special indulgence…they are just supposed to be good, period…mmmmm

Want! Thanks for sharing.

HA! I love the warning. I think comfort food is something we really need at the moment.