Cabled Birthday Cowls in Merino/Silk Handspun

My DH’s brother (BIL) and his wife (SIL) both have birthdays this month. I wanted to make something special for them. Considering the single-digit temperatures we’ve had the last week, I think they’ll be well-received.

The fiber is from Ashford and it’s an 80/20 Merino and silk blend. It was slippery and a challenge, but I managed a decently consistent aran weight 2-ply yarn.

The pattern is here. I wanted to add buttons to my SIL’s cowl, so had to do a little modification to add button holes and a different border. My BIL’s cowl is shorter than the pattern indicated and has a ribbed edge.

Crocheted cables are so much fun - and I love the way they look!

20 Likes

Those are really pretty! Love the cables! The colors are very striking!

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

Nice! I learned to crochet cables last week and can see using them again.

2 Likes

They are beautiful, I love the blue one especially.

1 Like

Thank you! I can’t get enough of cables.

1 Like

This look like just the right thing for your temps! I just love the chunkiness of the cables.

1 Like

Gorgeous! They sound soft and warm, too.

1 Like

These are lovely!!

1 Like

Pretty! I really like the one with the buttons on it.

1 Like

What a gorgeous pattern! Just the other day I was looking at some beautiful handspun from @Bugaboo from a use the good things swap & wishing for a one skein project to use it for. It’s got more than one colour but hopefully this pattern will highlight it rather than overwhelming. I’m not much for pattern reading so this will be a good challenge.

2 Likes

Love the added buttons and I bet they are super soft and comfy!

2 Likes

She does include a chart with her patterns, so that does help when you get lost. But, the pattern was very well-written. No errata with the slight exception of forgetting to note that the turning chain does not count as the first stitch.

I used about 5 oz of the blue and maybe 4-4.5 oz of the green (roughly aran weight).

These are so pretty and cozy! Crochet cables are a dream for a non-knitter. (Thanks for the pattern, this is definitely going on my project list!)

1 Like

I found a few YouTube tutorials, think I’ll try that and see if I can get the hang. It actually looks amazingly simple! & I love what can be done with one hook as opposed to multiple needles.

2 Likes

It’s all so complicated. They’re just gorgeous!

1 Like