Campfire S'mores Cupcakes

For a recent work gathering I made these Campfire S’mores Cupcakes - I had to “compete” with the hamburger cupcakes I made last year, afterall. :wink:

They are a yellow box mix with an added egg & butter substituted for the oil. The s’mores flavor comes from chocolate frosting and chocolate “rock” candies, graham cracker crumbs, and marshmallow frosting.

I looked at a few recipes for the campfire decorating and picked the ideas I liked best, then found a marshmallow frosting recipe to use for the flames. I used only half the marshmallow creme/fluff that the recipe called for - it still had plenty of marshmallow flavor and was way more frosting than I needed.

CampfireCupcakes03

Here’s how it goes!

Bake your cupcakes and let cool. Add a thinnish layer of choclate frosting (this was also premade to save me some time and waste). Then dip the frosted cupcakes in graham cracker crumbs. You can buy the crumbs already… crumbed, but I crushed the crackers since I don’t have a use for the rest of the crumbs, but I can use the extra crackers. Plus it gave me a more natural look with the varying sizes of the crumbs.

CampfireCupcakes00a

Next, add your campfire circle of chocolate candy rocks, put a daub of choclate frosting in the middle and add pretzel stick “logs.” My pretzel sticks were long, so I broke them in half. After this photo was taken, I realized that I liked the look of the broken end pointing out - they looked more like firewood that way.

CampfireCupcakes00b

After making the marshmallow frosting I separated it into two bowls, dying one orange and the other yellow. Then I followed online direction for piping more than one color at once to make the flames. Some have two flames, some one. I used a Wilton 1M tip. To give it just one more little touch, I put mini marshmallows on toothpicks to “roast” over the fire. I wish I’d thought to brush a little baking chocolate on them to make them look more roasted.

CampfireCupcakes00c

They were a hit! My recipe made 22, but some were too big, so 24 is totally reasonable. It took way more rocks than expected. I thought I bought plenty, but a few cupcakes didn’t get them.

Tips:

1. Don’t do the graham cracker step and after until the day of. The crumbs and pretzels lose their crispness and the crumbs kind of “melt” into the frosting.
  2. For the same reason, have a plan to distribute as many as possible! I sent guests home several - insisted, actually - but still had more than we could eat before these parts were unpalatably “soggy.” The flavors were still good, though!

CampfireCupcakes06

17 Likes

These are so cool! Those little frosting fires are killing me.

1 Like

These cupcakes are on fire (:grin:)! I love all the little details right down to the rock fire pit. And your cupcake tray looks like it was made to hold s’mores cupcakes, though knowing you, it probably was!

These are sooo cool!! You definitely topped yourself! I love every detail but that roasting mini marshmallow is just perfection.

Thanks, friends!

Haha! Well, I did redo the tray, but several years ago. I almost forgot I had it!

Thanks! I was on the fence about adding it, but I am glad I did!

2 Likes

So incredibly cute! I want you to plan all my parties…

1 Like

These are awesome, completely awesome.
Coconut instead of graham maybe? Or crushed nuts, or crumbled oreos? Or just gobble them up straight away :smile:

Thank you!

Then they wouldn’t be s’mores cupcakes! Graham is a requirement and don’t let anyone tell you different! :rofl:

Oh, right. I’m not a fan so I forgot about the taste profile. I was thinking campfire ash, totally different direction!

1 Like

They are just perfect! I hope your guests appreciated all the work that went into them!

I think that getting the look has a lot of flavor options, tho! Really, they could be anything

Super cool!

Thanks!

Your attention to detail is amazing!! So many cute little moving parts…and sounds delicious, too!

Awww, thank you!!!